Anyone else had enough of this year already

Simple practicals where they are just measuring water turns into a major operation.

We do all this covid safe work to keep stuff in quarantine or individually set up and the students ignore it all out of the classroom hanging around in big groups hugging each other.

Just a rant really

Shannon

Shannon
COMMITTEE
Tbh I am half up for this year and half down, less prats but happy as they are taking longer so the longer time is good. Today, for me has mainly been a admin day/chase up. I did make some bromie water (DIY version) which I was able to really really look into and make sure I was happy with it :)

We're not doing class practicals until after half term so its not too bad here at the moment. I'm sure that'll change when they do start them though with all the extra work its going to involve.
Our biggest issue right now is the split timetable and working out when we can get into labs. Its so difficult managing our time to get stuff where it needs to be at the right time without us getting caught in a crowd.

Shannon

Shannon
COMMITTEE
We're not doing class practicals until after half term so its not too bad here at the moment. I'm sure that'll change when they do start them though with all the extra work its going to involve.
Our biggest issue right now is the split timetable and working out when we can get into labs. Its so difficult managing our time to get stuff where it needs to be at the right time without us getting caught in a crowd.
Yeah, I am having this issue too, especially as we have a one way system too

I came back at the beginning of term to find that the prep room windows had been replaced, the room at some point had not been made water tight so two eight foot long shelves full of folders of paperwork and equipment had become wet and then left and were now covered in black mould. The windows are eight foot in the air and they have just put ordinary handles on them so I can't open them and the plaster work has not been repaired, nor has it on the out side so the room is still not waterproof. Then to top it all off I came in this morning to find the sink has leaked and there was a huge puddle on the floor!!
Fortunately we are not doing practicals until next week.

So yes I am fed up with this year already!!!

Yeah, I am having this issue too, especially as we have a one way system too
We're on the one way system too. We're on one of the main corridors so we often find that we can't even leave the room as there's a large crowd of bodies stuck right outside trying to get through the double doors at the end of the corridor.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
I have a list of times when I can ignore the one way system, I use it to decide when to go to the toilet. I can also nip out to collect photocopying.

I wear a mask still because I have to walk through labs to get out of the preproom. I have a widened passage way through the lab to get out without getting close to students.

Exactly what do they think will change after half term? We dont have any chemistry yet, so gives us a chance get used to it with btec and biology. There is no way we could cope with all the science practicals at the moment

Classes almost all double booked, projectors failing in an entire floor, missing teachers so I was covering from 9-5 two days without anyone suggesting what I was supposed to do with the little darlings, people forgetting that a room designated safe for 18 won't be safe for 30... departmental merger, new IT system that hasn't quite taken...

Our term only started on Monday.

OMG some of you really seem to be going through the mill :(. Things here have started slowly, sort of. I've been able to sort out sets of basic lab equipment - 1 for each bubble - for when practicals start. The prep room is having a rearrange to try and make space for quarantining and I'm in danger of disappearing up my own rear end thinking about what still needs doing. My biggest headache is finding the right sanitisers and PPE so that we can actually start practicals! But, reading your stories, it looks as though I'm fortunate. Practicals will still be in the department, all on the same floor and in proximity to each other. New HOD appears helpful and seems to understand I am but one lone part time tech and there is a reasonable chance that trying to get a quart into a pint pot really might not be achievable. I'll do my best but it's a bit of a different ball game now..
I am however somewhat down. I'm no spring chicken and this was supposed to be a gentle glide into retirement. Never mind, not being able to get every practical done really, really won't be the end of the world.
One thing we may be able to take from this sorry mess is don't sweat the small stuff, worse things can and do happen.
Good luck all.

This year is going to be interesting! Our schools approach was to have student bubbles which don't move, consequently as the students will have to use the labs to eat dinner in on wet days we have decommissioned all labs, cut the gas, water and power to benches, locked all cupboards, cleared everything we can't lock away. :-( No demos allowed. Not going to be a very exciting term for science.

I have two PT colleagues who I now have to find things to do for. Thankfully we can get to prep rooms so are currently relabeling and checking risk assessments. Not sure what will happen if they stay like this long term.

I'm on my own, we're doing practicals and luckily I've a spare lab to quarantine. HOD has asked teachers to put their requests into lab logger for the term, I've not run screaming from the building yet... but there's time...
:magician:

Exactly what do they think will change after half term?
They don't think anything will change, the half term grace period was put in place at the request of us technicians to enable us to get ourselves sorted and get our processes in place for sanitising goggles, lesson changeovers, etc.

Actually not so bad from the Technician workload perspective. There are no science lessons to speak of (other than Year 11) in the labs but as we currently only have about 20 safety goggles we cannot do anything 'wet' even in the labs. Bit of a struggle at times getting stuff to/from pother classrooms for practical work as they are all downstairs via sometime crowded corridors (forget social distancing or masks...). However we have all of Y8 sent home and a class of Year 9 after positive tests, and quite a lot of other pupils do not seem to be attending......

All repairs done and stocks checked........three times !

I am doing twice as many practicals as usual because we only have half the students in each week. But they are doing everything individually instead of pairs, and being given all the little items to kit they need instead of moving round the lab to fetch them (and put them away). And practicals where they had three over three weeks - two practices and an individual exam, are compressed to two in a week instead of one in a week because they aren't in the other week. Some practicals have been downgraded to demos but at the moment I seem knee-deep in ones that are 'essential'. It is slightly insane.

Exactly what do they think will change after half term? We dont have any chemistry yet, so gives us a chance get used to it with btec and biology. There is no way we could cope with all the science practicals at the moment
:crying:
We have to do 'essential' cores too. So KS4 & 5 doing class practicals. What a palaver that is! Everything, literally everything has to be cleaned/sterilised, and as @ Stu_222 said kids (& teachers)are huddling in groups, cuddling, fighting as usual.
KS3 are having demos until after half term. 'cos we all know it will be magically easier after half term!:crying: Miserable.

Yes - I resigned on 7th Sept - very lucky as I don't have to be a wage slave, I only wanted 2 more years.

But being told I had to babysit a teacher in a tiny windowless room with students and couldn't socially distance being diabetic classed as vulnerable was the last straw.

SLT we have nothing to do as only ONE demo should be filmed and no pracs [not told this] Staff we want pracs, we want pracs and we want them now! Piggy in the middle being pulled both ways.

So new horizons beckon - retirement Covid has taught us to value our time, life health and each other.

Actually not so bad from the Technician workload perspective. There are no science lessons to speak of (other than Year 11) in the labs but as we currently only have about 20 safety goggles we cannot do anything 'wet' even in the labs. Bit of a struggle at times getting stuff to/from pother classrooms for practical work as they are all downstairs via sometime crowded corridors (forget social distancing or masks...). However we have all of Y8 sent home and a class of Year 9 after positive tests, and quite a lot of other pupils do not seem to be attending......

All repairs done and stocks checked........three times !
you could try https://www.foodsafetydirect.co.uk/clothing/safety-wear/eye-protection.html
they let me add 200 overspecs to the basket.