Anybody using portable burners?

And can you recommend any models to go for or avoid? I've read the CLEAPSS guide but it would be nice to hear from some of you too. :)

We have no gas for the foreseeable in our sad, never-worked-properly-from-day-one portakabin lab so I'm looking at our options. :/

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
I had a bit of a spat with CLEAPSS over the camping gas ones as they don't recommend them and it took several attempts to find out why - eventually they said that they were unstable and if knocked over the connection could easily be severed.

The problem with that is they didn't test all the different versions just the vertical ones eg
1616590296104.png or 1616590328230.png
which I can see could be dangerous - so I settled for one in my prep-lab that has a side connection like the below (the gas can sits on the side and is more stable than the expensive and short lived lighter fuel ones they recommend - it works well, is considerably cheaper and lasts a lot longer then their recommended one.
1616590499674.png
Obviously , not being a gas expert, I cannot recommend it, but I only use it in the prep-lab at my own personal risk.

One of my main 'beefs' with CLEAPSS is that these camping gas burners are used world wide by campers, scouts, Combined Cadet forces and the rest - ??????? I guess they have to be extra safe for indoor school student use, but what do I know.

We used them for the best part of a year when the gas supply to the whole department died.

We've got the Hotery ones on p2 of the CLEAPSS guide. They do the job, I still use them sometimes for demos where there isn't a conveniently placed gas tap.

A few negatives:
The fuel tank isn't very big so they need refilling pretty much every lesson (especially when the kiddies don't close them properly, or when stored for a while as they seem to leak).
You have to refill them from the little cans of lighter fuel you get for cigarette lighters which is a bit of a faff and very smelly - best done outside !
They and the fuel need to be stored in a secure outdoor store - we had to get one fitted specially.
The kiddies are prone to picking them up and wandering round the lab with them while lit :rolleyes:

Thanks both, and good to know about the store JFKtech, I hadn't delved deep enough into research to factor that in yet!

One of my main 'beefs' with CLEAPSS is that these camping gas burners are used world wide by campers, scouts, Combined Cadet forces and the rest - ??????? I guess they have to be extra safe for indoor school student use, but what do I know.
I think it's 'indoor' that's the issue - if you look at a camping gas canister or stove they pretty much all say they are for outdoor use only, so CLEAPSS would need some very concrete evidence of safety to contradict that.
Says she who put four camping stoves (flat ones , they couldn't tip them over !) on tables in the church hall for the Guides to do a ready, steady, cook competition :p.

Last edited:
Thanks both, and good to know about the store JFKtech, I hadn't delved deep enough into research to factor that in yet!
I've just looked through the guide and they seem to have changed the wording of that bit and it now only says the store has to be vented to the outside. But it still has to be separate from any other combustible materials.

And can you recommend any models to go for or avoid? I've read the CLEAPSS guide but it would be nice to hear from some of you too. :)

We have no gas for the foreseeable in our sad, never-worked-properly-from-day-one portakabin lab so I'm looking at our options. :/
We use the ones similar to the Breckland Model: Cat. No.: BRN-250-100. Except ours have heat shield disk, just below the burner head.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
We use the ones similar to the Breckland Model: Cat. No.: BRN-250-100. Except ours have heat shield disk, just below the burner head.
They are the ones that fall into the category CLEAPSS say are dangerous and do not recommend them?
CLEAPSS GL240
The type in the photo should not be used
1616605895611.png

Last edited:

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
I had better have a look at CLEAPSS, see if we're legal. Thanks for the 'heads up'.
As I said - I found it very difficuklt to tie them down to a reason and wasn't convinced it was valid when I got one - In fact to start with they said 'I didn't need a reason' Then gave me one when I said people are more likely to comply if they are given a valid reason.

As I said - I found it very difficuklt to tie them down to a reason and wasn't convinced it was valid when I got one - In fact to start with they said 'I didn't need a reason' Then gave me one when I said people are more likely to comply if they are given a valid reason.

I think it's because they're a bit unstable. I've just done a test by deliberately knocking one over, liquid gas started squirting out and formed quite a big yellow flame. I was outside and expected it, in a classroom it would definitely be a bad situation.

I think it's because they're a bit unstable. I've just done a test by deliberately knocking one over, liquid gas started squirting out and formed quite a big yellow flame. I was outside and expected it, in a classroom it would definitely be a bad situation.
You can also puncture them or heat on with another one at the back of the class.

:cleapssadvice:

There is no way to shut them all off.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
You can also puncture them or heat on with another one at the back of the class.

:cleapssadvice:

There is no way to shut them all off.
If you use that a reason then we wouldn't use any equipment - I've seen students lighting open gas taps before now or using lenses to burn holes in another student's coats or lighting paper using the sun. They are teacher discipline and student control issues. Large damp cloth will stop any flames.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
If you use that a reason then we wouldn't use any equipment - I've seen students lighting open gas taps before now or using lenses to burn holes in another student's coats or lighting paper using the sun. They are teacher discipline and student control issues. Large damp cloth will stop any flames.

It's all about managing risk and the resultant injury if the risk did occur. In my opinion the risk involved in using portable burners is too high and that is why Cleapss have banned them. At the end of the day the buck stops at our door if we've given out something we know to be considered 'dangerous' by our advising health and safety body and something goes wrong.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
It's all about managing risk and the resultant injury if the risk did occur. In my opinion the risk involved in using portable burners is too high and that is why Cleapss have banned them. At the end of the day the buck stops at our door if we've given out something we know to be considered 'dangerous' by our advising health and safety body and something goes wrong.
I accept that the the post concerned was talking about the danger of deliberate misuse rather than any danger form normal use.