An alternative to the Potassium manganate diffusion prac' please.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
I need an easy alternative to the potassium manganate diffusion practical as we have 2 pregnant ladies in the department and this one is now classified as possibly causing harm to the unborn child; we don't want to take any chances. I don't really want to go down the starch/ iodine visking tubing one if possible. any ideas?
Thanks as always folks. :):):cool:

I need an easy alternative to the potassium manganate diffusion practical as we have 2 pregnant ladies in the department and this one is now classified as possibly causing harm to the unborn child; we don't want to take any chances. I don't really want to go down the starch/ iodine visking tubing one if possible. any ideas?
Thanks as always folks. :):):cool:
Substitute the Permanganate with Phenolpthalein. You're right not to take chanes.:);)

I take it you just put a crystal in the corner of a cold beaker of water and another in a hot beaker of water (as per year 11 exploring science) and watch - in which case phenolpthalein wouldn't work - some solid food colouring instead of the permanganate - can get powdered form easily. But even if you can't get solid and have only liquid can use and syringe to place a few undiluted drops in the corner of the beaker.
If it's the diffusion in agar cubes then phenolphthalein is the recommended method.

we use Marmite or Bovril ( love it or hate it ! ) , 1 spatula full in a beaker add hot or cold water and time how long it takes to dissolve.
Leave the spatula in the beaker as it is very sticky and hard to get off !

Also if you are doing it as a diffusion prac rather than convention we've done methylene blue ice cubes before which work really well.