Amylase

Hi everyone, especially biologists, can anyone tell me which Amylase to use for breaking down starch, is Fungal or Bacterial Amylase the best?
Also, I seem to remember someone on here saying, don't use Amylase, use Diastase instead, ',cos it's cheaper and better, any thoughts please.

We use bacterial, works fine. Some contain reducing sugars which defeats the purpose i guess. When pushed I've used glucose :)

We have used bacterial amylase in the past, but last time I purchased diastase. Have had good results with both. Check the optimal pH though if you are doing experiments that use this factor.

We use bacterial, works fine. Some contain reducing sugars which defeats the purpose i guess. When pushed I've used glucose :)
We have used bacterial amylase in the past, but last time I purchased diastase. Have had good results with both. Check the optimal pH though if you are doing experiments that use this factor.
I use diastase, works well.
Always been a bit hit and miss, this prac, for me,
thanks all.

We just trialed Fungal & bacterial Both worked well. 0.1% was 'going' with 1% starch in 30 seconds. Diluted for longer.
Diastase same.
But then the kids get hold of it & bugger it all up.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
I use pancreatin (powdered porcine pancreas). 5ml 0.1% in 5ml 2% starch works in 7 minutes.

If I am doing effect of PH then I use diastase becuase it's optimum is around pH7
2ml amylase with 1 ml pH buffer
add 2ml 2% starch
diastase 0.5% as amylase -
buffer pH 4,6,8,10

Hi everyone, especially biologists, can anyone tell me which Amylase to use for breaking down starch, is Fungal or Bacterial Amylase the best?
Also, I seem to remember someone on here saying, don't use Amylase, use Diastase instead, ',cos it's cheaper and better, any thoughts please.
Cheapest is for students to use their own by chewing a cup of water, which is how we did it when I was at school.

see cleapss for h&s.

Cheapest is for students to use their own by chewing a cup of water, which is how we did it when I was at school.

see cleapss for h&s.
We used to do this, pre-Covid. Kids thought it was great, worked every time, right temp. and free!

Yes, same with ours. The biotech always bought the same stuff, it said on the bottle it denatures at 60C, but she believed all enzymes denature past body temperature and couldn't understand why the results the students were getting were always "wrong" (they were right for that particular enzyme).

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
New school, new resources. I'm used to using diastase powder (works for years). How much/anything I need to know about fungal amylase- have very small quantity container, so presume need v little?

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
How long do enzymes last in the freezer? I think I am less than 6 months before all of the activity is gone.
If dried powder kept in the fridge and well sealed, then some of mine are several years old and still work fine - pancreatin and diastase. But I always do a quick test every time I make up a batch

If dried powder kept in the fridge and well sealed, then some of mine are several years old and still work fine - pancreatin and diastase. But I always do a quick test every time I make up a batch
Oh dear!! perhaps I need a new freezer :-(