ammonium dichromate volcano allowed?

Is this still allowed? I have had a request from a teacher, with a question mark if it was still allowed. She says the HOD has told her it is not. I have looked and not seen anything to that effect - a risk assessment on cleapss, and a page from SSERC giving instructions (not a member but this was a webpage found in a search).

I just want to check. This is an experienced teacher and sixth formers so I am not so worried they will be unsafe, I just don't want to breach any recommendations.

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Be wary that just cos CLEAPSS have an RA doesn't make it OK to do
If the HoD says no then it's not happening, responsibility for H&S for the department stops with them at the end of the day so if they don't want it then tough regardless of CLEAPSS approving

So like KayR said - check with the HoD with the CLEAPSS method in hand and see what they say

I think the issue might have been that the old method was setting fire to it, and heating it is a new method. This teacher would not have asked for it if it had been "banned", so the word from the HOD is not a ban. Of course she is ultimately responsible for the department but this must have been that the HOD thought it had been 'discontinued'. I will have a word, because the items on the req sheet for that are for a metal tray, and the items for the fireflies one (with the Cr2O3) bears no relation to what I have seen online!
It is demo time and several are the RSC classic demos so there is one definitive version I can follow, but these are far more of a local version, and the tech notes here are not always useful or match what the teachers do.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
Isn't it the products of the experiment that are the problem? I seem to remember having to seal the products up for posterity to deal with.

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Isn't it the products of the experiment that are the problem? I seem to remember having to seal the products up for posterity to deal with.
According to the CLEAPSS method the left overs and residual wipe down contaminants are plastic bagged and put in general refuse

We've demo'd this a few times using the new method and apart from being a quick reaction, with the quantities, it works well. I keep the students a bench away as it does spew out a little. Damp blue roll collects up any mess :)

Here in the past the product Cr2O3 has been collected and is used for 'fireflies' demo. Very fine powder, though.