Amino Acid Chromotography

Hi all,

For paper chromatography of amino acids, does anyone have any amino acids that they specifically avoid using?

Reason for asking is that our most commonly used ones are out and deliveries are who knows where so need to use other ones that we have in stock.

In order to save me a few hours/days trialing different amino acids, does anyone have any that they swear by or avoid?

Teacher is suggesting using the following:
- Tyrosine
- Glutamic Acid
- Beta-phenyl-alanine

(ETA: The solvent and procedure used is that of CLEAPSS, incase that changes anything)

This may not answer your question, but I try to choose 3 with the biggest difference in Rf value in the hope that they will separate visibly. We have used Lysine, Glutamic acid and Proline before, but also other ones when we've had limited choice. We use the OCR PAG 6.1 procedure, which uses a solvent of Butan-1-ol and Glacial ethanoic acid. I'm not sure how this compares to the CLEAPSS method, so Rf values are likely to be different.

This may not answer your question, but I try to choose 3 with the biggest difference in Rf value in the hope that they will separate visibly. We have used Lysine, Glutamic acid and Proline before, but also other ones when we've had limited choice. We use the OCR PAG 6.1 procedure, which uses a solvent of Butan-1-ol and Glacial ethanoic acid. I'm not sure how this compares to the CLEAPSS method, so Rf values are likely to be different.
Thanks, We used proline and lysine too but are now out of both hence trying something else haha.

The Rf values of the ones selected are far enough apart to be visibly distinct

Here's a chromatogram I did following the CLEAPSS method. Some, like glutamic acid, didn't work very well so I avoid using them for practicals

Attachments

• amino acid chromatogram.jpg
    amino acid chromatogram.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 13
Avoid arganine; we had problems in the past with no spot showing up.

I've just checked my notes and in the past I've used the following combinations (Rf numbers in brackets):

Lysine (0.14)
Alanine (0.38)
Tyrosine (0.50)
Phenylalanine (0.68)

Alternatively Lysine, Threonine (0.35), Tyrosine and Leucine (0.73).

this is Chemistry here.
We've done the practical for both Chemistry and Biology in the past. It's currently not on our Biology syllabus but who knows when it'll reappear! :D

Colly

Wobbler
Leucine and Alanine work well for me. They are the two unknowns that I use in X.
Also use Lysine and Aspartic acid has worked well in the past but not great this time.
Mine are all very old amino acids powders some of which dissolve better than others but I find even if they don't dissolve that well they still work if you give them a shake before the practical. I kept mine made up in tiny vials in the fridge since last October when the Biologists did it and have just trialled them for the Chemistry tech to save her a job and they still work!