CCEA exam board Alternative solvent for Amino Acid Chromatography

Hi all,

Need help with this urgently, I have checked on cleapss and can't see any alternative solvent ideas.

We are out of butanol and thanks to the office staff our orders are delayed (or probably not even happening now), I made up some solvent with the last of our butanol on monday and it has already started to split into two layer.

The teacher is wanting to do it tomorrow and I'm honestly getting sick to the teeth with chromatography lol it never works for me theres always SOMETHING that goes wrong!

Update: have just seen the one on cleapss sheet

ethanol : ammonia : water
8 : 1 : 1

Has anyone here tried this?

Colly

Wobbler
I think (worth a try) you can use the Butanol that has separated, just syphon off the clear layer to use. They only need about 1cm depth in the bottom of their container so hopefully you won't need too much of it. I don't about the CLEAPSS one, haven't tried it.

Update: have just seen the one on cleapss sheet

ethanol : ammonia : water
8 : 1 : 1

Has anyone here tried this?

The chromatogram i sent on the other amino acid post you put up was done with ethanol, ammonia and water in that ratio. Works well.
I usually place it into the beakers and cover with a petri dish lid for the students as it has a very potent smell

Works well so long as your ammonia is good. This is the one used here when I first arrived when no-one would believe that ammonia tends not to last that well, which then messed up the results. Eventually I got them over to a butanol one... and to forget about thinking they had an immortal bottle of ammonia...

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Hi all,

Need help with this urgently, I have checked on cleapss and can't see any alternative solvent ideas.

We are out of butanol and thanks to the office staff our orders are delayed (or probably not even happening now), I made up some solvent with the last of our butanol on monday and it has already started to split into two layer.

The teacher is wanting to do it tomorrow and I'm honestly getting sick to the teeth with chromatography lol it never works for me theres always SOMETHING that goes wrong!
@BioBee Which practical? which board? Please try to use the new prefix drop down to help identify which version/practical you are talking about. You could edit the origial post to indicate this now.
1616657485485.png