Algal balls

Anyone know where to buy some algae 'soup' ready to make balls?
Unable to get algae started over the summer & everyone wants to do algae practical NOW!
I'm going to use the balls we made last term before algae culture turned into the Quatermass experiment & died.

Unable to get algae started over the summer & everyone wants to do algae practical NOW!
I'm going to use the balls we made last term before algae culture turned into the Quatermass experiment & died.
the blades stuff is not strong enough to make balls with, mine has not grown much in 2 weeks, so I'm back on the extracted chloroplasts from spinach.

How dark should a bought sample of algae be?

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
the blades stuff is not strong enough to make balls with, mine has not grown much in 2 weeks, so I'm back on the extracted chloroplasts from spinach.

How dark should a bought sample of algae be?
You have to 'breed' them up on the window ledge in a large volume of water - the final solution should be opaque, the bought stuff you can see through and ist's concenrated enough to use neat.
Just in the middle of making balls now
1631529413754.png1631529434447.png1631529456606.png
100ml syringe with micropipette tip into 1L beaker of 3% calcium chloride solution. You can see that even the algae and alginate mix is completely opaque

You have to 'breed' them up on the window ledge in a large volume of water - the final solution should be opaque, the bought stuff you can see through and ist's concenrated enough to use neat.
View attachment 6971View attachment 6972View attachment 6973
100ml syringe with micropipette tip into 1L beaker of 3% calcium chloride solution. You can see that even the algae and alginate mix is completely opaque
I've made some balls out of the random stuff from a bucket I cultured over the holiday. WOW it was amazing, better than the bought stuff. Now split the culture to get another lot going. Have no idea what algae it is but its a lovely dark green thick soup and works really well

Where are you Puds. There may be someone close by who can give some

View attachment 6971View attachment 6972View attachment 6973
Petit pois?

I have some algae balls from last year that I am trying out.
I've just set up 3 lots with varying amounts of balls in each, plus one boiling tube with Elodea . lamp on, timing. Fingers crossed.
Anyone had better luck with a weaker bicarb solution? Mine is 1%

Yes, it's from kerboodle, never had it work in a lesson, pH buffers work every time for ones I prepared earlier.
Just realised what you said. Are you putting pH buffers in with the spinach or balls?
Is this a 'cheat'?
I'm up for that by this point!
I need to sort this for period 5 today ( had request on Monday, left by head of biology on a post it note on the side which, silly me, :rolleyes: I hadn't seen!)

30 minutes...no change in any tube :crying:
How the heck is Elodea not working? That was to be my saviour!

Edit; ELODEA WORKED ! Very suddenly went bright purple. Oh joy :love:
The tube that is nearly full of algae balls ( gave up on counting) has changed very, very slightly.

Last edited: