Algal balls

Hi,
can anyone suggest either a good alternative to algal balls for post 16 practical project or else a source for concentrated algae (ready to use to make the balls straightaway) or even better ready made algal balls?
We’re having difficulty with the algal culture we have and our time scales are very tight!
thank you

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Hi,
can anyone suggest either a good alternative to algal balls for post 16 practical project or else a source for concentrated algae (ready to use to make the balls straightaway) or even better ready made algal balls?
We’re having difficulty with the algal culture we have and our time scales are very tight!
thank you
The same practical will work with pond weed sitting in bicarbnonate indicator instead of the balls. The indicator colour will change in the same way as the balls change it. (or you could revert to counting oxygen bubbles). Where are you based? as I have a tank of algae ready to make into balls.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Hi,
thank you
you can get pond weed from a tropical fish store or pets@home if they have a fish section.

Last edited:

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Hi,
thank you
Just a thought but any aquatic plant will do if you are going to place in bicarbonate indicator to see colour change - it only has to be elodea or similar if you are counting bubbles (cut through stem and count bubbles from open end).

In fact I've seen ordinary terrestrial plant leaves such as geranium suspended above the indicator in sealed tubes as below
1613383201156.png

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies Peter - I’ve Not seen that last idea and it looks really useful.
Thank you for the offer of algae too - we’re in east Kent - is that anywhere close to you?

I see that "Sciento" have now ceased trading and that is where we used to buy our Scenedesmus quadricauda suspension.
Does anyone know of an alternative source?

Thought I'd tag on to this thread - my algae has turned brown, is this an indication it's dying or just too much nutrient?

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Thought I'd tag on to this thread - my algae has turned brown, is this an indication it's dying or just too much nutrient?
Dying probably due to either not enough light or too much nutrient. You've more chance not putting any nutrient in or just very small amount.

Dying probably due to either not enough light or too much nutrient. You've more chance not putting any nutrient in or just very small amount.
This is exactly what happened to my algae! I was off for a week with illness last year and the Biology teacher decided to 'feed' the algae. He'd been putting baby bio in everyday! I told him he'd killed it but he didn't believe me :rolleyes: