Advice needed -Planning a sequence of tests for organic compounds

Hi all, I dont have the technician notes for the Planning a sequence of tests to identify organic compounds and I would be really grateful if anyone has this to share please. Ive got the list of chemicals and apparatus needed but not the volumes required

WJEC

Last edited:

karen b

COMMITTEE
Hi all, I dont have the technician notes for the Planning a sequence of tests to identify organic compounds and I would be really grateful if anyone has this to share please. Ive got the list of chemicals and apparatus needed but not the volumes required
Please let people know which exam this is. There is a drop down menu option for you to use on the title of your message

thanks thats what ive already got, was hoping someone whos done it before could give me a rough idea how much of the naoh h2so4 2,4dnph nahco3 nano2 im likely to need per student

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
thanks thats what ive already got, was hoping someone whos done it before could give me a rough idea how much of the naoh h2so4 2,4dnph nahco3 nano2 im likely to need per student
They're all test tube reactions
The kids shouldn't be allowed to plan a method where the total volume in each tube is over 10cm3 after all reagents are added

So work out how many reactions they'll do in total and multiply by 5cm3 per group?

Another question sorry - One of the tests listed is HNO2 which Ive read is an amine test, but Ive not found any information on Cleapss or really on google either about it preparation and use. Very general to use a mineral acid in cold temperature but thats about it.
Anybody got any useful links or could share a sheet with me please?

FYI the CLEAPSS document HC093 - Sodium and potassium nitrate (III) indicates how to go about making Nitrous acid (HNO2). I haven't found any specifics about it's use in school as a test for amines. If it was me with this lack of info I would likely contact CLEAPSS for further advice and also perhaps contact the exam board to see if they can provide further information so that everyone can be kept as safe as possible.