Advice for someone purchasing a flat?

I am currently living in London and whilst I would ideally like to purchase near my school as Plan A, plan B is to look outside of London where it's cheaper. Colchester seems interesting as I have been before, but I am open to pretty much anywhere in England that has a compact city centre with all the amenities shops/supermarkets etc. Any recommendations?
Someone I know bought a narrow boat and lives in London on it! No noise from above or below and cheaper!!! :)

Don't I know it.
I'm sandwiched between a child upstairs (daytime noise) and a baby downstairs (nighttime noise). It's quite stressful to say the least given I'm in an old building so there is no proper sound insulation. As understanding as any human can be since there's not much I can do other than be patient (or move and hope for the best). I won't lie, it can take its toll when you have to get up at 6am to go to work...
I totally understand - but you don't sound like you're retaliating!

Earplugs are my shield lol

Well I was considering it, but the whole mooring situation and maintenance concern me. Good thing is, I can drown my sorrows anytime I want lol.
yeah I think there is a narrow boat face book page where you can ask questions and get advice?. I live in Bristol and the property prices are so high I was considering going down the narrow boat route.

I know two separate people who have bought a flat recently(in the last year) and both now regret it. The maintenance charges cost an arm and a leg already, but they then ask for extra when unforeseen problems with the building arise. It's not always apparent what your future costs may be. This is publicised more in recent times and can become a trap, as when you come to sell the flat, it can be really difficult to shift because prospective buyers are very wary of hidden costs. I would advise against buying a flat. It may seem cheaper than a house initially, but you need to look at the longer term costs.

My list when I was searching many moons ago,:

Go purpose built if possible as the noise is better insulated with concrete floors.
Who runs the maintenance? How much do they charge, this can be expensive.
As long a lease as possible, over 75 years if you can, they are expensive to extend
Check on double glazing, I owned the glass and the front door, but not the window or door frame. This meant that if I put double glazing in and they decided to do it themselves I would have to pay again!
Parking (if you have a car). I'm in outer SE London so it horrific sometimes.
Check the area at various times of the day and night (if poss) to see what it's actually like.

Those were the main things I had on my list when I was looking.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I have the van and do occasionally spend the night in it during term time but pets and the cold are limiters. With solar panels and sufficient battery storage it can be done.

I have the van and do occasionally spend the night in it during term time but pets and the cold are limiters. With solar panels and sufficient battery storage it can be done.

If I could give you multiple thumbs up, I would lol.

1. Do not buy ex-council as you will be charged with any work done to the block (my sister brought ex-council they changed everyone's doors excepts hers and she had to pay part of the cost)
  2. All management companies are rude and horrible and don't want to help and can be very frustrating when trying to fix issues (I was a director and had full on rows down the phone)
  3. Check how long the lease is anything under 90 years I wouldn't buy it will be difficult to sell unless you wanna pay to extend it which does increase the value of the property
  4. Check the service charge! Can be really expensive
  5. Children using the communal area to play games can be annoying!
  6. A lot of flats are rented so you will see a lot of people come and go and never really take care of the area.

But buying my flat was great and enabled me to buy my house so go for it! There will be rough times like leaking on another flat or being leaked on but is worth it!

1. Do not buy ex-council as you will be charged with any work done to the block (my sister brought ex-council they changed everyone's doors excepts hers and she had to pay part of the cost)
  2. All management companies are rude and horrible and don't want to help and can be very frustrating when trying to fix issues (I was a director and had full on rows down the phone)
  3. Check how long the lease is anything under 90 years I wouldn't buy it will be difficult to sell unless you wanna pay to extend it which does increase the value of the property
  4. Check the service charge! Can be really expensive
  5. Children using the communal area to play games can be annoying!
  6. A lot of flats are rented so you will see a lot of people come and go and never really take care of the area.

But buying my flat was great and enabled me to buy my house so go for it! There will be rough times like leaking on another flat or being leaked on but is worth it!
This is all so true. Many years ago My parents bought their council place. There was a young family put in the upstairs flat ( it was specifically supposed to be an elderly & disabled block) & were always smashing the security lock or door to get in because they forgot the number, my Mum was constantly getting bills for that & other damage they had done. Ditto for your point about the door renewal, also for windows. Crazy system.