Acid cabinet rusty and liquid formed over the summer holidays

Good afternoon all,
I'm a new chemistry technician and was hoping to get some help on the above matter.
I purchased a couple of acid/alkali cabinets from Timstar (https://shop.wf-education.com/science/st150000.html) to store some acids and oxidative reagents. The cabinet containing oxaditive agents is fine however the one containing acids, currently just conc Hydrochloric Acid and conc Sulphuric Acid has developed a lot of rust and a liquid has formed on the edges of the metal and the opening mechanism. I was wondering if there's anything obvious I'm doing incorrect or if it's some sort of issue with the product? I've attached pictures to this post to show exactly what I mean.
Kind regards

p.s. Apologies about the poor image quality, my camera is not the best. The brown spots are a combination of what appears to be rust and some sort of liquid
p.p.s. This happened over the summer holidays, I filled the cabinets just before heading off for the hols.
p.p.p.s. The reason for there being so many bottles of each is because my predecessor kept buying new bottles without checking stock I assume? I have no idea exactly what the thought process was.

Attachments

• IMG_20220901_130850.jpg
    IMG_20220901_130850.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220901_130917.jpg
    IMG_20220901_130917.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220901_130946.jpg
    IMG_20220901_130946.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220901_130902.jpg
    IMG_20220901_130902.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220901_130939.jpg
    IMG_20220901_130939.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220901_130836.jpg
    IMG_20220901_130836.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220901_130923.jpg
    IMG_20220901_130923.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220901_130908.jpg
    IMG_20220901_130908.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220901_130929.jpg
    IMG_20220901_130929.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Think that might compromise the integrity of the cabinet. If it's safe you could leave the cabinet doors slightly ajar for a few hours a day until the stock level drops.

Think that might compromise the integrity of the cabinet. If it's safe you could leave the cabinet doors slightly ajar for a few hours a day until the stock level drops.
Would that not lead to potential reactions with other chemicals in the store room? I assume holes would have the same effect though... I'll try that thanks! Any ideas on ways to get rid of the rust that has built up in the meantime?

Also would you happen to know the identity of the liquid that's formed in the cabinet? Condensed acid?

Your right there about reactions. Although if the ventilator is strong enough it should be o.k. until you use up the surplus. Hammerite smooth paint will help the rust

Check the bottles for leakage. I did find keeping conc. acids as far apart as possible helps. Not easy for you I see. Our conc. is not in cupboard but in vent chem store. The safety police and fire brigade seemed happy enough.

Check the bottles for leakage. I did find keeping conc. acids as far apart as possible helps. Not easy for you I see. Our conc. is not in cupboard but in vent chem store. The safety police and fire brigade seemed happy enough.
Thanks a lot, I'll check if I can find any. In the meantime I'll try to keep as much of our acid stock dilute. I assume 3 or 4M solutions keep well in Polythene plastic bottles. I can't wait to finally use up all of this acid, I'm still confused as to why we have so many...
With regards to the paint you suggested, would it be good with acids?
Thanks a bunch for all the help!

I have painted dexion shelving in the past in a chemicsl kit store. The dexion was under attack. But, there was no conc. in the kits. Get the M.S.D.S from Hammerite or ask them. Most companies are happy to help.

Same here - we had metal cabinets with our new build and they went badly rusty in no time. Conc acids are now in super-deep Gratnells with a lid sat on the floor under the main shelving (which is wooden). Given how few bottle we have (11-16 school) it makes much better use of space in our undersized chem store as well.

The white cabinet shown in your photos are not fit for purpose. We had the same problem with the cabinets supplied when we moved into the new build. We store our conc acids and corrosive in plastic cabinets. Follow the link below:
Just been looking at Balco's website, and unfortunately they don't seem to put prices on..... before I ring or email them to ask, how much did you pay for your cabinets (and what size(s) did you get).....? If they're too expensive I won't even bother contacting them as I'll get laughed out of the room if I ask for one to be ordered...! :rolleyes:

I'm afraid that I can't remember how much we paid for them at the time (over 13 years ago now). I'd email them for a current price list. Unfortunately, like most health and safety things, it's not going to be cheap.