9 Layer Density Tower

Anyone done this density tower demo from Steve Spangler?

it lists

Material Density (g/cm3)
Honey 1.42
Pancake Syrup 1.37
Light Corn Syrup 1.33
Dish Soap 1.06
Milk 1.03
Water 1.00
Ice Cube 0.92
Vegetable Oil 0.92
Baby Oil 0.83

Do you think they are the same here as in the USA?

I've done a variation on it, it's very popular with staff and students.
Some of the US ingredients differ not just in name but composition so it was a matter of experimenting.

I've found that if it's shortish term, you can get much more layers. For example, Maple syrup, golden syrup and clear honey will make 3 distinct layers but will mix over time (weeks).
Different hand and dish soaps will make different layers but again will mix over time.
Oils and spirits are worth playing with too.

Adding solids is a great touch. Things I put in are: a big nut and bolt, popcorn kernels, grape, small candle, plastic bottle cap, and polystyrene (or foam/sponge). Different plastic beads will have different densities. Again, experiment.

I'd recommend picking some ingredients and put them together in a beaker and leave over night to see how they behave.

I've attached a labelled picture of one I did, it's constantly evolving, I can't find the latest version.

(Edited to add: I found it really helpful to attach a cut-down funnel to a piece of pipe, so that I could pour down to the surface without too much disruption/mixing).

Attachments

• Density Column 2018-19.docx
    815.8 KB · Views: 97
I've done a variation on it, it's very popular with staff and students.
Some of the US ingredients differ not just in name but composition so it was a matter of experimenting.

I've found that if it's shortish term, you can get much more layers. For example, Maple syrup, golden syrup and clear honey will make 3 distinct layers but will mix over time (weeks).
Different hand and dish soaps will make different layers but again will mix over time.
Oils and spirits are worth playing with too.

Adding solids is a great touch. Things I put in are: a big nut and bolt, popcorn kernels, grape, small candle, plastic bottle cap, and polystyrene (or foam/sponge). Different plastic beads will have different densities. Again, experiment.

I'd recommend picking some ingredients and put them together in a beaker and leave over night to see how they behave.

I've attached a labelled picture of one I did, it's constantly evolving, I can't find the latest version.

Love the addition of the solids - looks fab!

I have this one on the go at the minute, it started off as 6 layers but things moved and the washing up liquid/water have mixed together. I avoided using the milk as I needed to keep it a while and I thought the milk would go off! So in there I have, from top to bottom
Dyed Ethanol
Vegetable Oil
Hair Conditioner
Water/Washing Up Liquid Mix (I put black food colouring in the water)
Golden Syrup
Not that exciting but it demonstrates the principle.
I have also learnt (the hard way) to put it out with a big sign saying DO NOT SHAKE :)

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_103117458_2.jpg
    IMG_20191001_103117458_2.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 47

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
they do this in Chemistry here, not Physics. We have units on particle model and atomic structure in both. Bizarrely we only do the Universe in Chemistry.

I have also learnt (the hard way) to put it out with a big sign saying DO NOT SHAKE :)

Haha, that hadn't occurred to me. That would be annoying to say the least.

I put mine on a stand and with a G-clamp and I fix it very tightly to the worktop/desk. That was more from fear of it being knocked over but it would hopefully prevent shaking too.

Haha, that hadn't occurred to me. That would be annoying to say the least.

I put mine on a stand and with a G-clamp and I fix it very tightly to the worktop/desk. That was more from fear of it being knocked over but it would hopefully prevent shaking too.
Like your idea - why didn't that occur to me :)

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
that link seems a bit confused. I have always preferred cramp, but it seems optional. (though unlike your link I prefer consistency)

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Huh never seen them called that before - seen C vs G but always a clamp
Must be a regional thing I guess

Research suggests cramp is a UK and Aussie exclusive use and is interchangeable with clamp even in the UK

Many years ago I recall my DT teacher making a similar point. I suspect it is like light/lamp - both work fine for colloquial use. And whatever you call it it's still darn useful!

I have this one on the go at the minute, it started off as 6 layers but things moved and the washing up liquid/water have mixed together. I avoided using the milk as I needed to keep it a while and I thought the milk would go off! So in there I have, from top to bottom
Dyed Ethanol
Vegetable Oil
Hair Conditioner
Water/Washing Up Liquid Mix (I put black food colouring in the water)
Golden Syrup
Not that exciting but it demonstrates the principle.
is the popcorn kernel, popped or unpopped.