-10. crikey.

I hate neighbours.
When I had a newborn - with colic - our upstairs neighbour's approach to his crying was to start playing his guitar. At 10pm. We should really have worked it out when we realised that the old tenants of our apartment had only moved across the courtyard into an otherwise absolutely identical one.

I feel all your pains. Neighbour that gets drunk and screams and shouts and bangs on walls and floors. We all own our own flats, so no chance of getting him evicted. Police do come and shut him up but it doesn't last. I put sheets of cardboard covered in an old carpet then a pretty quilt on the dividing wall which does help.

When I had a newborn - with colic - our upstairs neighbour's approach to his crying was to start playing his guitar. At 10pm. We should really have worked it out when we realised that the old tenants of our apartment had only moved across the courtyard into an otherwise absolutely identical one.

I don't agree in retaliation, but being deprived of sleep ultimately ruins someone's mental health, maybe that's what happened to him? It's also made worse when it's due to someone else's lifestyle choice as you have no control over it. You also don't know what is going on in their personal life, maybe they NEED the sleep as that is their only opportunity to rest?

I am not putting blame on anyone, but just like people have no choice but to put up with noisy children as it's an unavoidable part of society, there should also be understanding and empathy in the other direction as well.

Actually I blame building standards. if houses were properly insulated to begin with, this would not be as big of an issue.

Oh well, one more month to go until peace and quiet ;)

Last edited:
I don't agree in retaliation, but being deprived of sleep ultimately ruins someone's mental health, maybe that's what happened to him? It's also made worse when it's due to someone else's lifestyle choice as you have no control over it. You also don't know what is going on in their personal life, maybe they NEED the sleep as that is their only opportunity to rest?

I am not putting blame on anyone, but just like people have no choice but to put up with noisy children as it's an unavoidable part of society, there should also be understanding and empathy in the other direction as well.

Actually I blame building standards. if houses were properly insulated to begin with, this would not be as big of an issue.
Totally with you on that - and we did everything in our power to try and keep the noise in his apartment down. We kept to the living end of the space as much as possible.

Oh well, one more month to go until peace and quiet ;)
Other peoples kids are awful. I love mine, but others? Nope.
They smell funny, usually of wee or biscuits.

1, I feel honoured to have good neighbours. One side is a young family, but we never hear them and they are so nice. The other side used to be a 94 year old man, lovely bloke, but he died last year. Reportedly the house has been bought by a couple who will only be there during the week.

2, First time today I haven't had to defrost the car.

2, First time today I haven't had to defrost the car.
It was sheet ice here rather than frost so nearly fell over getting to the car to defrost/deice it, then carefully drove to work and then nearly fell over getting out of the car at school! Roll on slightly warmer weather!

My neighbour in my old flat, going back a bit, had a real barny with his wife who was a door slammer, so he went around their flat with his screw driver and took all the doors of so she couldn't slam them....this was at 1am

My downstairs neighbour was playing really loud music when I got home at 5pm last week, after a bit I realised that she was singing along to it - I think it was karaoke. It went on 'til 10pm. She's a tenant of the housing association, so I've made a complaint to them, as I'm worried her behaviour is likely to get worse - at least she isn't having very nasty sounding arguments with her ?ex bloke anymore, and the drug deliveries seem to have stopped.