Search results

1. P

Excel sheets

Hi, we use Google sheets. I have a sheet for each teacher. About once a day I go through them (CTRL+SHIFT+Page Down) and write anything new on little post-its which we stick on our board - that's how we keep track of what's to go out and come back in during the day. As I do this, I fill the...
  2. P

Science department H&S policies

Reviewing/updating - so long as the one you've currently got is otherwise OK - usually just means checking that nobody who has left is responsible for anything and that major changes within the dept (such as different rooms being used) don't make bits of it all wrong. You could identify...
  3. P

mercury thermometers

We disposed of all of ours (11-16 school). There's nothing we do that needs to be super accurate and dealing with mercury spills is such a pain.
  4. P

Anyone had any luck getting free periodic tables - large posters?

No. I made this instead. Prints onto 9 A3 sheets so there is a little bit of 'making' involved, unfortunately.
  5. P

Working holidays

I'm not entitled to an enhanced overtime rate (unless it's overnight) or time in lieu, so any conversation I began as I suggested would end in laughter and a flat refusal.
  6. P

Working holidays

"Fantastic! Do I get double time or is it only time-and-a-half?"
  7. P

Elodea and it's non invasive substitutes - supply issues

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/garden-health/weeds/Invasive-non-native-species
  8. P

Edexcel exam board Distillation of Inky water

We've had food colouring that decolourised and a few that were prone to foaming. Currently using powdered food colourings and they've been much better (not so greasy as the little bottles of liquid from the supermarket either).
  9. P

Best filter paper for chromatography

We use https://www.betterequipped.co.uk/chromatography-paper-grade-1-roll-100mm-x-100m-1038 (the roll isn't shaped like in the photo) and it last for ages. It's so easy to cut with a rotary guillotine.
  10. P

You want what?

Our schemes of work have been overhauled over the last 18months and I'm now getting requests that have clearly been copy/pasted from the SoW. A few of them are so cryptic that I've had to ask "What exactly do you want?" usually to be met with "I don't know, it's in the SoW, I thought you'd know".
  11. P

testing in schools

The handbook at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/asymptomatic-testing-in-schools-and-colleges seems to be a pretty good guide to how it should work. Any Head asking for test tubes and lab coats clearly doesn't know what's expected.
  12. P

Extension springs, different spring constants

They're the two I'm currently using! GLS = Philip Harris: even the catalogue codes are the same.
  13. P

We use BE lots so I'll risk a box next time we order to see what they're like (£6.98). Thanks.
  14. P

Hmm, an expensive option! It's a bit of a worry that the photo shows spring that don't look very "assorted"!
  15. P

Thanks Paul. Those first two are the two we currently use that are almost indistinguishable. It's frustrating that they quote spring constants for these but not the third! Rough calc based on their slightly odd numbers does suggest they would be a decent option for a second spring.
  16. P

Hi, thanks. Someone's already asked them in the comments what the spring constant is and they clearly don't know. I may chance a packet of them if I don't find any better options.
  17. P

Hi, Can anyone help me to source two springs with different spring constants? Edexcel GCSE has a core prac (maybe others do, not sure) that's investigating Hooke's Law but you're supposed to compare two different springs. I originally bought a stock of two that are available from Philip Harris...
  18. P

Does propanone go 'off'?

If it's been used for rinsing wet glassware and recycled over and over it could be mostly water!
  19. P

little plastic bits for delivery tubes

The azlon ones do melt slightly if you use them for distillation and boil the pants off it but are ok for sensible use.
  20. P

little plastic bits for delivery tubes

Gas delivery tube? We cut up bits of the ones Azlon make (maybe 50cm? straight sections) - haven't seen anyone else make plastic ones.