Search results

1. AHoward

OCR Cambridge Technicals Level 3 Applied Science

I've adapted most of my technician sheets from Cleapss, Royal Society of Chemistry, and the GCSE/A-Level practicals we do anyway.
  2. AHoward

OCR Cambridge Technicals Level 3 Applied Science

We've had to make ours up or borrow from A-level/GCSE. Not a lot of technician help available as far as I'm aware.
  3. AHoward

A step too far?

Wash and reuse slides and cover slips (unless they're broken). We are a very small school and only use about 30 coverslips a year so washing them isn't a problem. When I worked in a larger school we just binned them.
  4. AHoward

Bung Storage

Like Techitude but in round yogurt pots or margarine tubs
  5. AHoward

Water bath

When I need high temperatures (eg 65C), I start it off by using either the hottest water from the tap (ours is about 50-60C) or boiling water from the kettle. If I use the kettle, I put a bit of cold in first then add boiling water till I get to the correct temperature.
  6. AHoward

"Devious Licks" Trend

Thanks for the heads up, I'll let the teachers know to keep a look out.
  7. AHoward

Bunsen Burners soot on boiling tubes

I put them in an acid bath of 1M hydrochloric for a few minutes then wash by hand. The acid bath makes them a lot easier to clean.
  8. AHoward

how long have you worked as a technician?

5 years at my previous school. Been here nearly 4.
  9. AHoward

Elodea and it's non invasive substitutes - supply issues

I use a 3 litre beaker filled with rainwater from my water butt at home. I change the water every week. It needs to be aerated to keep the pond weed alive. As mentioned by TechNewham, we put it under bright light to get it really going before the practical. If it's summer, this can take an hour...
  10. AHoward

George's marvellous medicine

making sherbert would be good for taste.
  11. AHoward

Should Technicians be Booted and Suited - Any further views?

I always go for smart stuff from the charity shop if I can. As everyone's said, with the number of times I end up with tiny acid holes in my clothes it's not worth spending good money on nice clothes. At least with charity shop clothes, it doesn't seem so wasteful when the clothes get wrecked as...
  12. AHoward

Transporting radioactive sources

I had a couple of quotes of around £200-250 + VAT, even though we only wanted to move the sources about 15 miles. Basically we had to pay for the driver to drive all the way from London to Bristol, move the sources between two nearby schools and then drive back to London.
  13. AHoward

What shape are your delivery tubes?

I put a short length of glass tubing through a bung and then connect it to a longer length of glass tubing using a short piece of rubber tubing. I find this type is less likely to get broken and it's easier to set up an experiment because they are flexible. You can add an extra length of rubber...
  14. AHoward

Required Practical - Analysis and Purification of Water Samples

Our Chemistry teacher used the cobalt chloride paper to show that there was water present in both the salt water and the distilled water. This showed that the cobalt chloride paper indicated the presence of water, but was not a suitable indicator of whether the water was potable. She used it to...
  15. AHoward

Cheapest small pots with lids for solids?

These come in a range of sizes: 15, 30, 60ml. The 15ml ones are probably about the size you're looking for. https://www.science2education.co.uk/product/BOT1200S
  16. AHoward

Prep room door, locked or unlocked

All doors to my prep room lock automatically all the time. It is an electronic locking system which works off my lanyard. Great as I don't have to worry about locking all of the time, but a bit of a pain when I'm carrying something and need to open the door.
  17. AHoward

rusting practical

So does HCl but it needs to be pretty strong. We normally have a bottle on the side specially for cleaning rust stains. Just put a bit in a handfull of test tubes. When they are clean, pour the acid into the next set of test tubes and so on until they are all clean. Can take a while but it does...
  18. AHoward

How many Technicians does it take to change a Light Bulb?

Clearly one as we are such a fabulously resourceful bunch! In contrast, for a teacher: minimum of two - the teacher and the science technician who is asked to do it; student: minimum of three - the student, the teacher they ask, and the science technician who actually does it...
  19. AHoward

View from Your Prep Room

How about this one? The river Severn at low tide: