Search results

1. Muttley

Cloudy sodium carbonate solution

The anhydrous works fine. Will use that instead.
  2. Muttley

We tried that but was still cloudy. Trying again in the morning.
  3. Muttley

Of course! Made a fresh batch yesterday.
  4. Muttley

I am trying to make a 1M sodium carbonate solution but it is cloudy and will not clear. Any tips?
  5. Muttley

Flash cards....

We order them from reprographics and then sort them into small packs for the students. Another fad which hopefully will end soon.
  6. Muttley

SciChem deliveries and billing for things that haven't arrived

I didn't know they had been bought out. they used to be good but our microscopes are due in October when we ordered them in May.
  7. Muttley

Cheek cell practical

New HOD wants to do cheek cells. Senior tech and another science teacher off with covid. If only I had a hazmat suit....
  8. Muttley

Iodine solution

Made a 1:9 solution and it looks right. The other tech is telling me its too dilute but she doesn't know what it should be. Senior tech is off with Covid so I'm in charge. Thanks for your help guys. I could have worked it out but we are rushed off our feet.
  9. Muttley

Iodine solution

Seems a bit high to me. Looking at the Sci Chem catalogue they sell a 0.05M solution which contains 2% w/v KI. I am confused.
  10. Muttley

Iodine solution

I want to replace the old yellowy iodine solution for starch testing. I have a large bottle of Iodine solution (1% in KI) but need 0.01M. How many moles is that? How much do I need to dilute this by?
  11. Muttley

testing in schools

We have done a couple of hundred tests, mainly staff. All have been negative and no voids. It's been interesting working with members of staff I don't normally see.
  12. Muttley

testing in schools

Has anyone watched the webinar? The used swabs are not "clinical waste" but "health waste" made me laugh. Good job I am not in school now due to lock down.
  13. Muttley

testing in schools

We don't have metal racks, only wooden blocks with holes.
  14. Muttley

testing in schools

Unfortunately they can't be wooden as it is porous. I think DT will have to make some.
  15. Muttley

testing in schools

Does anyone know where we can obtain racks for the sample tubes? All of our test tube racks are wood and are too big anyway. A 3d print file would help.
  16. Muttley

Inset day inequality

We are not having the Friday off. BUT teaching staff are back on the 5th Jan same as the students. Support staff have been told to log 7hrs of online learning. I will be back on the 4th otherwise the department will be in chaos when the teachers return and want to do practicals...
  17. Muttley

Another dodgy pic on BBC website.....

A bit like the three test tubes at the top right of the this page...
  18. Muttley

The Big Bang Fair 2020

I am going on the 11th March. I never asked to go but HOD wants me to go as I am first aid trained and it saves them some money. I won't be happy if I am late back home. :eek:
  19. Muttley

What if........Science teaching went to 'Required Practicals' only ???

A taught at a school where they did just that. I insisted on doing the other practicals but was told by the HOD there was not enough time even though they started the GCSE curriculum in year 9! I did most of the other practicals anyway (the solitary tech wasn't too happy) and my students seemed...
  20. Muttley

Old ripple tank instructions needed

We have an old Griffin model B ripple tank. Does anyone know how use it? We have a modern one but due to clash I have dig out this old relic. It lights up but I am unsure of how to make waves with it.