Search results

1. Irene

Is there anyone currently doing IB Environmental systems and societies? (this is a new course for us)

I don't know if this is the right page, and may sound a bit topsy-turvy. I have just been asked to see if anyone has set up an eco garden so temperature, insects, rainfall can be measured on a weekly basis. If so, how difficult was it to set up, and was there adequate data for a study? If there...
  2. Irene

Transition day

Could I pick your brains for transition day as the teacher running it this year wants to use bunsens. I've said no as there isn't alot of time to go through health and safety. Any alternatives? We did cabbage indicators using kettles a few years back, but this year, they want to burn metals.
  3. Irene

Sorry I need to rant

So, the Yr11's have finished or will be finishing their exams by the end of the week. I had the former HOD (now SLT) come up to me and casually ask about next weeks cloning practicals with the Yr11's using geraniums :surprised:. 150 Yr11 students. You can imagine the horror of my poor geraniums...
  4. Irene

Btec.....pig semen

Hi All, I have been asked to get Porcine semen as part of Btec Unit 9C. Help, where can I get it from. Never a dull morning!!
  5. Irene

Returning to "Normality"

Hi All, I'd like to know your thoughts regarding bubbles mixing from the 21st June. As many of you have been washing, sterilising, quarantining, etc. I'm just worried that all the hard work will be undone. Yes, I know we have the vaccine and the rates are dropping, but the thought of things...
  6. Irene

Pearsons Btec Level3 Food tests

Sorry about the title. I have just received my rec sheet and have been asked for food tests for the Yr12's. (Unit 8 C). Having looked at the lovely spec, (I wish there was a technicians version with advisable practicals). Could anyone point me to a link or advise me on the type(s) of flame test...
  7. Irene

Preparation of an alcohol from a halogenoalkane

Hi All, Has anyone got a method they are will to share or a link for the "Preparation of an alcohol from a halogenoalkane". It's for Btec group Yr13's Thanks
  8. Irene

Can algae ball be reused?

Hi All, I have just finished an experiment using algae balls. It seem such a shame to throw them away. Can they be reused?
  9. Irene

Fun practicals

Hi All, As we have a few more weeks left at school, I have been asked to do fun lessons with the Yr7's and Yr8's. Growing Christmas trees has been suggested.....my thoughts were Ahhhhhhh.....so much cleaning up. Are there any quick less messy Christmassy practical's I can do?
  10. Irene

Egg powder turning purple with Benedict's solution

Could anyone explain why the solution of Benedict's solution has turned purple testing egg powder . I haven't got the time to make it up using the Cleapss method, so have resorted to the bought solution. It's confusing the hell out of the teachers and students. I originally thought that I had...
  11. Irene

Where can I buy Drosophila ?

Hi All, I'm having difficulties in buying drosophila. Can anyone advise where I can get these from. Timstar and Breckland have discontinued selling them....these were my best suppliers. Thanks
  12. Irene

Setting up practicals

Hi All I have a request for electrolysis (required practical) for 16 groups. Do I still need to put all the equipment out in individual trays to limit Covid transmission? I have looked at Cleapss GL343, am I looking in the wrong place?
  13. Irene

How to keep elodea

Hi All, I have recently purchased some oxygenating plants for the photosynthesis practical. Are there any specific environments to keep them alive for further practicals. I am at the moment keeping them in an oxygenating tank with water snails....but they don't look particularly healthy. Any...
  14. Irene

Denied going on a course

How many of you technicians have been denied going on a course because of budgets? I recently put in 2 forms:- Technicians conference with a workshop Cleapss H&S course SLT have decided it wasn't appropriate and my HOD is trying to get me on the H&S...
  15. Irene

Chromatography using food colouring

Hi All, Could anyone suggest a food colouring that gives results. I have tried various food colouring's from various supermarkets and as one of the Chemistry practicals is a required one I'm struggling to get good results. Have any of you tried using powdered food colouring? Does it work...
  16. Irene

My Chemistree

I hope you can see this....As a lone technician, I was give a lovely assistant as you can see, he's wonderful!! a delight to work with.
  17. Irene

What does this stand for?

Hi all, I'm not a physicist, but one of the teachers has come across a joule meter (Griffin....yes rather old) It has F.S.D. 100W written on it, could someone tell me what F.S.D. stands for please. I have googled and and come across various meanings. It would be nice to know. Thanks Irene
  18. Irene

Aspirin TLC

Hi All, I have been asked to test TLC of aspirin. I have found a BTEC method that requires Ethyl ethanoate as the running solvent, but it doesn't state the concentration of it. Has anyone any ideas to the concentration. Irene
  19. Irene

Removal of starch from t-tubes

Hi All, Any suggestions of how I can wash starch grains from t-tubes. Is there an easier way besides hand washing to remove the grains. Irene
  20. Irene

Potassium permanganate

Hi All, Could any one recommend where I could purchase potassium permanganate crystals, as my recent purchase came as powder. Not good for diffusion practicals. Irene