Search results

1. Peter Sigsworth

Time requirement for prcaticals

They sometimes say that to me when I challenge them but really they did want it when they asked but daren't admit it and/or can’t cope with the confrontation.
  2. Peter Sigsworth

try samples for schools and keep a stock in your freezer (https://www.samples-for-schools.co.uk/)
  3. Peter Sigsworth

lablogger down again?

No problem here with the classic version
  4. Peter Sigsworth

I occasionally get food test requests at short notice - I keep a stock of dried foods for this very event (powdered milk, UHT milk, powdered potato (smash), dried albumen, sugar, glucose, starch, dried bread, biscuits, crisps, dried fruit pieces, suet, cooking oil and some frozen items morsels...
  5. Peter Sigsworth

algal balls/pond weed buubling maggots daphnia cauliflower cloning enzyme practicals
  6. Peter Sigsworth

LabLogger user group

Post your request on the 'Discussions' as a new post, @Razika - at lot of sharing there
  7. Peter Sigsworth

LabLogger user group

Template Warning Be carefull who has access to template administration as it is easy to delete all your templates and there is no backup. There is a check warning on the system but make sure you haven't selected all by mistake One way of giving protection is to control adminstration of this...
  8. Peter Sigsworth

Oedering from SSS

Bought a magnetic heated stirrer very cheap but very poor quality heater failed and free replacement makes a load knocking sound, but still works though - get what you pay for
  9. Peter Sigsworth

Benedict's Test and acid hydrolysis

follow this link (https://www.google.com/search?q=test+for+nonreducing+sugar&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB909GB909&oq=test+for+nonreducing+sugar&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i10l5j0i22i30l4.12157j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on#kpvalbx=_WRFDYYygFo_aUu-GtGg33) You would only hydrolyise if the...
  10. Peter Sigsworth

Unless your acid is too strong?
  11. Peter Sigsworth

mmmm. The acid shouldn't effect the glucose - If it hydrolyses the sucrose to reducing sugars which test positive then it shouldn't futher effect the reducing sugars?
  12. Peter Sigsworth

Are you neutralising the acid with bicarb before the benedict's test?
  13. Peter Sigsworth

SciChem deliveries and billing for things that haven't arrived

I forgot one delivery had the name on of somone who left the school 5 years ago
  14. Peter Sigsworth

Yep - they have introduced an 'automised billing system' which sends out demands 30 days from the date of order (not date of arrival). So if they don't get the stuff to you which seems to be the most frequent case, you still get the bill - which I will ignore until the whole order arrives. I...
  15. Peter Sigsworth

Is anyone else having problems with SciChem - as they are taking ages to deliver and sending demands for payment when the stuff hasn't even arrived yet. I know they have just been taken over by Inivos- so must be trying to set up new protocols?
  16. Peter Sigsworth

Getting hold of daphnia

ebay - very cheap and arrive alive within a couple of days
  17. Peter Sigsworth

AMYLASE

I use powdered diastase or pancreatic amylase both of which never fully disolve - so I make sure they know to ahake (the solution not themselves) before taking a sample.
  18. Peter Sigsworth

Algal balls

You have to 'breed' them up on the window ledge in a large volume of water - the final solution should be opaque, the bought stuff you can see through and ist's concenrated enough to use neat. Just in the middle of making balls now 100ml syringe with micropipette tip into 1L beaker of 3%...
  19. Peter Sigsworth

Cheek cell practical

Practical - just butcher meat human safe