Search results

1. Carine

Glassware for visually impaired pupils

contact RNIB they are very keen to help with this sort of thing
  2. Carine

Time to hang up my labcoat

Reading this makes me feel a little odd as I am unlikely to live till my retirement age. Everyone: make sure you take time to enjoy life now, don't put everything off till retirement. Of course if I do manage to live another 10 years then I will have to rethink my policy.
  3. Carine

Got to empty chemical store

we were given a large container to put all our chemicals (and everything else) into - it was for nearly 4 months and I had to kick up a fuss to get ventilation put in as despite my advice, containers were put in place where they received full sun at hottest part of day. I was told builders would...
  4. Carine

Waterproof chemical labels

I just use book covering plastic over printed labels similar to the ones you have shown - I like your idea of school logo though - may ask my teachers if they like the idea too.
  5. Carine

Chemicals Stock List

For new stock that comes in, first thing I do is weigh the pot then write the mass of the container on it (deducting mass of contents). For old stock that came in years ago, every year when I do the stock take I arm myself with a load of empty jars and weigh ones that are approximately the same...
  6. Carine

How Clean/Tidy are your prep rooms?

I would question motives of teacher - I suspect it's because they couldn't find something they wanted to help themselves to. I am naturally an untidy person, but since starting job share last September I have had to learn to leave everything very clear as to where it belongs, where it's going...
  7. Carine

Views of Your Prep Room

I love my tiny prep room - everything is where I can reach (often without getting off my chair). I have a separate office space and separate store which is a bit of a pain - lots of walking between rooms. There has been a bid put in for money to update the science department, the two main points...
  8. Carine

Related to how many technicians....

We had county H&S audit - I pointed out all the problems. A few months later we get a congratulatory email from Headteacher to tell us that once again our School has scored top marks in H&S audit. I assume our petty concerns regarding hazardous chemicals etc are not considered relevant.
  9. Carine

Related to how many technicians....

I only have an average of 50 practicals or so a week to prep and I thought I was busy... 7 teachers, 1 trainee, 101 teaching hours per week, 5 labs I do 27 hours TTO over 4 days, on my day off we have a new Technician doing 6 hours (rest of our teachers & labs are covered by someone else)
  10. Carine

How many Technicians?

Here we have 9 labs in 3 separate buildings. I work 27 hours (4 days a week) and cover 5 labs and 81 teaching hours per week. on my day off we have 1 technician who works 6 hours., covers the same 5 labs and 21 teaching hours. The other 4 labs (which are in 2 separate buildings) are covered by a...
  11. Carine

Measuring frequency for EDEXCEL speed of Sound in solid CORE PRAC

We don't let students do this one - it's a Technician demo. (can't let them loose with hammers...) Also, our pupils don't have access to IT in science classrooms so we have to rely on phones to do this. (In our school, you have to go to an IT room to use IT). Took me ages to find something -...
  12. Carine

How many practicals do you prep a week?

I look after 5 labs, 5 periods a day - so in theory I could have 25 practicals a day to prep - in practise it's usually about 10-15 a day so about the same as you I guess. However if other Technician is off sick I have to cover her 4 labs too - I've found that I can only cope with covering 9...
  13. Carine

Not replacing Head Tech

In our School the senior tech position is not about managing other technicians (in fact I have written confirmation to the effect that I am not supposed to do this). What is my responsibility (and not other technician's) is keeping records of dept budget (including ordering stuff as required...
  14. Carine

Not replacing Head Tech

so what did the head tech do that now no longer needs doing? Or who is doing those things that he did?
  15. Carine

Not replacing Head Tech

No generic job descriptions - as support staff are regulated locally rather than nationally - that is, I believe one of the things the unions want to address. In theory any school can say what they like about what is and is not a technician's job and similarly pay what they like. Local council...
  16. Carine

Not replacing Head Tech

So, in summary - if Senior Technician is not replaced - existing technicians MUST NOT do anything that is only on Senior Technician Job description. Get hold of both Job Descriptions and compare - then show HoD jobs which won't be done. If you are doing those things already, you should stop...
  17. Carine

Not replacing Head Tech

doesn't help - when we have a sick day management don't notice and only teachers suffer. It took me getting a terminal diagnosis and other technician being off for over a month before they even considered getting a temporary replacememt in - to replace a full time sick technician tyhey offered 5...
  18. Carine

Amylase again ...

I wouldn't expect it to work then - almost definitely "gone off"
  19. Carine

Amylase again ...

just looked at my bottle - has no use by date - just the date received that I wrote on it. I tend to hand out stuff from the older bottles when I can pretty much guarantee class is going to mess it up - it's such a temperamental thing that most teachers don't expect it to work anyway.
  20. Carine

Amylase again ...

I've always been told that enzymes have a 1 year shelf life at most - is there no date on the bottle?