Search results

1. megan l

What's this?

That's what I was thinking, not sure why they would be in with box of calibration weights though?
  2. megan l

What's this?

Found these in the drawer with weights for calibrating balances today, any ideas what they are/what they are used for?
  3. megan l

Vaccine reaction

I've had both Pfizer jabs and only had a sore arm both times
  4. megan l

Can algae ball be reused?

I have too! I rinse them with distilled water afterwards and then store them in distilled water in the fridge. Test them before they go again but mine worked fine for almost 2 years doing this - just remember to take them out the fridge before the lesson so they have time to warm back up
  5. megan l

Distilled water or tap water for agar plates?

That's exactly how I feel, biology already has enough issues as it is :laughing: Thank you both! Think I'll stick with the distilled just to be on the safe side
  6. megan l

Distilled water or tap water for agar plates?

I'm making agar plates and realised the CLEAPSS recipe doesn't state to use distilled water for nutrient agar (unless I missed something) but it specifically says so for other types of agar. I always have used distilled, but does it matter what I use / can I use tap water?
  7. megan l

How long are agar dishes viable if made sterile and stored in a fridge?

If they're sterile they should be fine, if you store in the fridge make sure they're stored upside down so that the condensation doesn't go onto the agar. I believe plates do not have to be stored in the fridge though What are they doing with the plates? If you need an inoculated nutrient broth...
  8. megan l

Black History month posters

For some reason when I downloaded them the Rosalind one wouldn't work so I had to save it a different way, they're from https://medium.com/nevertheless-podcast/stem-role-models-posters-2404424b37dd if it helps!
  9. megan l

They're from here, there's some brief info on each person too underneath each poster as you scroll down. The scientist of the month by Pearsons mentioned above are good resources too, hope it helps :)
  10. megan l

Yeah me too, I couldn't find anything poster wise so I got a few photos instead
  11. megan l

I've just printed some of these and popped them up on our BAME noticeboard, they look great!
  12. megan l

Mental Health Matters

@MadameToad @Julie Delaney thanks, I'll try both! I don't mind paying, I'm only in my twenties and I had a pharmacist last year tell me I 'didn't need one' so that's what makes me anxious about going without an appointment/school voucher. But I live with vulnerable people and get migraines when...
  13. megan l

Mental Health Matters

@Julie Delaney just tried there and thought I got one but my local are only offering it to those who are eligible for a free flu jab, so as I don't meet the NHS criteria it wouldn't let me :( so frustrating as they have lots of slots!
  14. megan l

Mental Health Matters

@ClaireS Boots took down their booking system because the demand was so high!
  15. megan l

Mental Health Matters

@Julie Delaney I'll have a look!
  16. megan l

Mental Health Matters

Need to get mine, but I can't seem to get booked in anywhere! I get too anxious to just turn up and see if one is available :( I'll just keep trying x
  17. megan l

Mental Health Matters

I get really nervous asking for anything too, but it always turns out fine in the end! You got this!!
  18. megan l

Mental Health Matters

Love it, that is one of my favourite shows!!! Retail therapy is needed sometimes and it's always nice to 'treat yo self' (anyone know what show that's from?!), think I might get a nice new cosy jumper as the prep room is freeeeeezing
  19. megan l

Mental Health Matters

Honestly I find that biology practicals are all over the place - one minute it works, the next it doesn't and for no obvious reason, so try not to let it affect you too much! Most teachers don't want to admit that they don't actually know what they're doing so it's easy for them to try to blame...
  20. megan l

Mental Health Matters

@BioBee With you on that! I played every day in lockdown but haven't since... I think my island will be full of weeds!!