Search results

1. Mad hatter

It's a waiting game now - hatching

Please do a bit of research beforehand in case one of your chicks has a disability. We hatched some guinea fowl at home and one had a deformed leg. We had to make a splint for it. It took us too long to sort it out and it died because it could not stand and feed itself. It was heartbreaking but...
  2. Mad hatter

Making rates of reaction micro kits

Hi all, has anyone made the micro rates of reaction equipment (Cleapss). I was wondering what you used to make the holes in the plastic. Do you have any tips for making them? Thank you
  3. Mad hatter

returning to labs 21st June

We have been doing full size practicals and required practicals all through since lockdown. We dishwash goggles and then sterilise them in x10 strength milton solution. All other equipment is labelled and put into quarantine with three clear days in between ie. items used on Monday will be out...
  4. Mad hatter

Making states of matter syringes

Thank you all for replies. I have now tried glue, which seems to work so far and also heating and sealing the nozzle, which also works. I might try the idea with the wire inserted next time, that sounds like a good way to release trapped air in the syringe. The real test is when these syringes...
  5. Mad hatter

Making states of matter syringes

Has anyone made filled syringes to show compression with solid, liquid and gas? I am not sure what glue to use to seal the end of the syringe. Is superglue any good? or maybe a sealant of some sort? thanks.
  6. Mad hatter

Issue with HoD?

Why not send all your department an email. Keep it light and short. Just say that you would like staff to call you by your first name rather than be called the technician (when there are no pupils around) as it makes you feel more part of the team. It is disrespectful of you HOY not to use your...
  7. Mad hatter

My job was advertised yesterday

It sounds like they have no idea of what you actually did as a science technician. We had a similar problem here, where they put out the wrong job description.
  8. Mad hatter

Fermentation jar

Just brainstorming here - how about a shallow, wide, see through plastic box with a lid? Holes drilled in for probes. It does not need to be glass or have an airlock. If it's quite wide, you will not risk the froth overflowing. You can find such boxes on the internet (we have some at home)
  9. Mad hatter

Transition day

How about chromatography using felt tip pens. It's easy, fun and they could take them home?
  10. Mad hatter

Telephone in Prep Room

Yes, easier said than done! It has been going on for years before I worked here.
  11. Mad hatter

I chose the wrong day to come in and get some jobs done !

We have to do our own pats, hundreds of items too!
  12. Mad hatter

Smashing Ice!

We use ice cube trays and then empty the frozen blocks into bags.
  13. Mad hatter

Vaccine reaction

I have had two Astra vaccines and both times the side effects were tiredness for a few days, still went to work
  14. Mad hatter

buying gallium

I bought a small vial of Gallium from Ebay for little experiments at home. It comes as a solid and not granular. I have just looked on Ebay but I cannot see the listing any more, sorry
  15. Mad hatter

Old Ammonia solution

Ammonia rarely goes out in our school and we have old stock as well. Thinking of keeping just a small amount.
  16. Mad hatter

I hate chasing orders that go 'missing' (My turn for a rant)

Yes, same here, things go missing and deliveries get sent to wrong department.
  17. Mad hatter

Telephone in Prep Room

We wish we didn't have a telephone in the prep room. Ringing constantly with requests for us to drop everything and go and take messages to kids in classrooms, (11 classrooms, up and downstairs) It is expected of us. Been a bit easier in covid because we have a good reason not to cross bubbles...
  18. Mad hatter

Schroedingers CLEAPSS

Lucky your teachers are familiar with Cleapss, ours have hardly any idea or interest on what it is, despite us pointing them in the direction of the Cleapss risk assessment folder and suggesting they look at it.
  19. Mad hatter

food burning practical

We use old gauzes without the ceramic centres. We don't make any shape out of them, just use them flat on a tripod, boiling tube with water and thermometer clamped above. When the food is alight, just turn off the bunsen.
  20. Mad hatter

Flame tests: Are platinum loops worth the investment?

Try the soaked wooden splints (Cleapss), they work and are very cheap.