Search results

1. Stokes1

Microscope Servicing Suggestions

Like several others have said, ours are done in-house by yours truly!!!. Most of the time, all they need is a good wipe over and "tweak", but I was really chuffed with myself during the lockdown in January, as I tackled 4 microscopes which had been sitting on my side bench for about 2yrs...
  2. Stokes1

Technician interview - advice please

Totally agree with paul r's reply! We interviewed last week and gave them the task of making up an accurate solution. The one who got the job read the instructions carefully and followed them to the letter. This candidate talked us through what they were doing, and why, and wasn't afraid to ask...
  3. Stokes1

CLEAPSS password

Bulletin arrived here today ...but the old password still seems to be working!! :D Anyone found out when the old one will "die"??
  4. Stokes1

PAG 1.2 Blood smear - Buffered water?

We do OCR and as LyndaR says, you can use the potassium salts to make your buffer if you don't have the sodium ones. That's what we do, and it's absolutely fine. Also, we don't order in horse blood - the students use their own, which is much cheaper, always fresh, AND they get the "wow" factor...
  5. Stokes1

Mini pond advice

I took our stock of pondweed home at the start of lockdown last year (someone had just brought me a stash from their garden pond ready for the up-coming required prac.........). I chucked it into one of those plastic trugs in our back garden and it's been there ever since! It gets the morning...
  6. Stokes1

Vaccination for those over 56

Me too. Had my first dose yesterday - definitely feeling a bit ropey today. Am pottering around doing those low-key things which need doing at some point, but don't take much brain effort!
  7. Stokes1

Today's the day - going after school this afternoon :)
  8. Stokes1

CLOSED - Chemistry Technician vacancy - Plymouth

Plymstock School in Devon is looking to recruit a Chemistry Technician. Closing date is Monday 15th March. Full details can be found on our vacancies page: https://plymstockschool.org.uk/vacancies/
  9. Stokes1

Just in case anyone missed the news at the weekend, anyone over the age of 56 can now book a Covid vaccination. I booked mine (both doses) online on Saturday and it was really easy to do: https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/03/56-59/
  10. Stokes1

Microscopes

Scichem have these on offer at the moment. They look exactly like ours (which are Motic), and are absolutely fine. A good price too :) https://www.scichem.com/product/scichem-tungsten-student-microscope
  11. Stokes1

What is Santa bringing you?

I think she means one of these...... https://www.thezoomball.com/products/thezoomball
  12. Stokes1

Inset day inequality

Yes. Had a lovely email from the Head this morning - school will be closed to EVERYONE on Friday........ "This decision will apply to all staff (both teaching and support staff)" and: "Any cleaning by our premises staff will now be scheduled on Thursday, so the school can close for Friday...
  13. Stokes1

Anyone see snow today ?

There was quite a covering on the highest parts of Dartmoor.
  14. Stokes1

PAG 6.1 using amino acids

We've just done this one. We use about 2cm depth. We used the CLEAPSS method and it worked a treat :D
  15. Stokes1

Aww - it's difficult, isn't it :confused:. Hopefully it's just for this year!
  16. Stokes1

Ways that you know it is Black Friday..

LOL - I'd never heard of this site until our son-in-law mentioned it at the weekend! It looks really useful :)
  17. Stokes1

I thought that all the nations had agreed to allow travel for those 5 days to avoid this scenario? Has that changed?
  18. Stokes1

We're doing Secret Santa amongst the adults in the family too. It was our daughter's idea, and it's brilliant. Everyone had a form to fill in where they could specify a particular item they want, or else give the option to receive a surprise - all within the pre-agreed budget range. We then put...
  19. Stokes1

Risk assessment for technicians working during covid 19 pandemic

Someone very helpfully posted a document they'd made (can't remember who, nor whether it was on this site or the FB technicians' group :confused:), and they gave permission for it to be used by others. We have therefore used that as a basis for ours, and tweaked it so that it applies accurately...
  20. Stokes1

Technician Jukebox - Whats playing right now in your room?

Depends what I'm doing! Like Rock Chick above, I quite like the silence, especially when I'm doing things that need concentration. But when I'm doing more mundane things like the washing up, I have the local radio on (BBC Radio Devon) - nice mix of easy listening music and general chit...