Search results

1. E

Making techs take practical classes.

Hi. Just wanted to get views of our situation for techs. We are having a meeting today and I get the impression we will be told we will have to take practical classes. Personally I wouldn't mind doing some classes.But think it's a change in th job and wondered if anyone already does this or what...
  2. E

Cyanotype rinsing in water removes a lot of the detail.

After adding ammonium carbonate it was a greeny brown colour. I dried the paper with a hairdrier, it took about a couple of minutes to dry. when I trialed it it worked perfectly but the students had a new solution that I made it was quite blue when thay came to use it.
  3. E

My iron iii chloride was a light brown powder at the top but underneath it was very dark almost black. Is the dark stuff or the light stuff the propper colour?
  4. E

Strange, as when I made it in small beakers i covered them with polystyrene cups to keep the light out until the students used them. Somethings not right. I'll have to investigate further.
  5. E

Just did the practical with a load of year 10s, it didnt work. I dissolved the potssium hexacyanoferate into the solution a half hour before the practical but the solution didnt last that long (is this normal ?).
  6. E

Cleapss recipe book page RB 052 11/17 Not sure if thats the page no. I have sussed it. I use chromatography paper,about credit card size, and put uv light right on top, of paper and film, for 15 mins. Then a short rinse less than a minute. Nice detail from negative images printed on acetate.
  7. E

We are doing Cyanotypes for our potential new students next year. I have trialed it painting the solution on printer paper with negative printing on acetate film, comes out really detailed after 5 mins under UV, Just kike a photo. But when I rinse them in water most of the detail is washed away...
  8. E

working out molar concentrations

Sorry I explained the wrong thing Molarity when you asked about Normality. Grandma and sucking eggs come to mind.
  9. E

You might ask why use molarity when making solutions in chemistry and not precentages which would be much simpler. Molarity is bassed on the molecular weight of each element that makes up any paticular compound. Therefore when you work in molarities you can determine how much of one chemical...
  10. E

Risk assesment by teachers for practicals.

Do you do stuff based on whats good for the person who comes after you. I dont, lifes too short.
  11. E

I never realised that before. Pity its not the same for Nitric acid but its close. 63g per mole and 68% concentrated solution.
  12. E

I did try google forms (they do seem to work on teams) but I wasent sure, when they go to a google form do they have to sign up to a google account to use it.
  13. E

Once its set up it should be an automatic system that leads the teacher to fill in a simple form. Its up to them to fill one in or not. Although my manager said dont give them the practical until they have filled it the form.
  14. E

Thanks Paul but I dont mind doing it. I was going to say Not to say "its not our job" in the orriginal post but thought I might come accross as rude.
  15. E

I forgot to mention I did make an excell form that would populate chemical names with the relevant hazcard image but I discovered (after doing the work) this wont work on teams (over the internet).
  16. E

I am trying to put something together so when a teacher books a practical (this system works well with excell sheets on teams) but I would like to link from here to a teachers folder where there is a simple risk assment form they need to fill in. I am trying microsoft forms but not sure if this...
  17. E

Exploded another thermometer. Opps.

I tried to fix a spirit thermometer got the split to be about 1mm at about 300 deg c right in the top. had to wave it over a flame to get it to that temp. it didnt half make a bang when the bulb burst. Oh well on to the next one. I'm not sure its possible to fix these high temp melting point...
  18. E

Anyone want Giant African Land Snails.

We want to get rid of the snails. You can have them if you want.