1. O

Science Technicians Pay Scales, Grades, Spinal Points

how does one become a senior lab tech?
  2. O

pH rainbow

I use pH buffer solutions
  3. O

Decay

shame about the insects, would be more interesting to see with microbes only
  4. O

Wanted - colourimeter

if youd be willing to post I can pay the postage? One or two would be fine depending on size/weight, most things can go RM 2nd class for about £3.35
  5. O

Wanted - colourimeter

Anyone got a working one they dont need?
  6. O

Buchner funnels

We could do with those please, Im in North Wales
  7. O

Experiment with food in Physics

whats this one?
  8. O

equipment ID please

most interesting thanks
  9. O

equipment ID please

Found this unusual burette type thing amidst a pile of broken burettes (why?) and cant work out what it would be for. It seems like it could be for mixing but I cant work out why you'd want to. Any thoughts? Tia
  10. O

Algal balls

those are some excellent balls, mine are much darker, dont know if thats a good thing or not
  11. O

Transition metals test?

id skipped that one as id only seen the ammonia test, nice one thanks!
  12. O

Transition metals test?

Hi all, would anybody happen to have a simple practical for testing transition metals with hydroxide (i.e. precipitates) that they wouldnt mind sharing with me please?
  13. O

visible ligand exchange not working

mystery solved - after checking all the HCl stock it turns out that 3 out of the 4 bottles are not viable, not sure if the previous tech diluted them and not labelled or what, never mind, im glad it wasnt me anyway
  14. O

thanks, ive just done that whilst waiting, made 2M and made no difference how much HCl I added, all the reagents are fairly new too.
  15. O

Laboratories used as Form rooms

The cleapss guidance says must not be used even for registration by non science teachers. This is something that's happening this term in our school, the 6th form are being registered in the science classroom which seems to have been OK'd by the senior management of which one is an A level...
  16. O

Hi peoples, Chem teacher has asked for a demo of the ligand exchange between conc HCl and CuSO4 aq but im not getting any hint of green. Ive tried 0.1 and 0.5M solutions of the copper sulphate. Any thoughts what Im doing wrong? Its probably something very obvious knowing me. Ta.
  17. O

Alternatives to bacteria incubator

Our department doesnt have the budget for a proper incubator, and to be fair we would probably only use it a couple of times a year. Has anybody made their own incubator or have suggestions of what to use instead. I was thinking a sealed box and heat mat?
  18. O

Groundhog Covid

yep bored, been helping admin staff with clearing an office. yawn
  19. O

Burning foods practical - foods?

I think I was being too purist then, reason I didnt go for those youve suggested is because theyre nearly all carbohydrate
  20. O

Burning foods practical - foods?

I was asked to do a demo during lockdown for which I used various nuts, crisps etc but obviously cant use nuts for a class practical. I was given the objective for one of each food high in carbohydrate, fat, protein, fibre, but the teacher didnt have any specific suggestions. I tried chorizo...