Search results

1. Peter Sigsworth

LabLogger set up - help needed!

in the absence of a phone call - We didn't use TTs for a year before LL suggested we do. Basically, if you have TTs then staff no longer have to complete the following fields when they make a request: Time, lesson period, day, and date: Requested by; Assigned to: Location: Subject: year groups...
  2. Peter Sigsworth

I've pmd you ring me
  3. Peter Sigsworth

Herea are a few guides
  4. Peter Sigsworth

Edexcel exam board Algal Balls

The only thing I can think is it's a bit wizzy to make balls (as opposed to 'a balls up'). They do like to watch me making them, which I do at an earlier lesson - on a stirrer and 100ml syringe (pic in prep-lab). Sometimes let them make their own with 10 ml syringe into 250ml beaker. It...
  5. Peter Sigsworth

Growlights

Good point @Paul. ,Yes I put a couple of 500ml beakers full of water so they are not thrown by an apparent difference form their Lab Book instructions. Even though you don't really need them - not much heat generated from LEDs
  6. Peter Sigsworth

Growlights

Get very bright lamps - the brighter the quicker photosynthesis will work - I use 30W LED Floodlight - 30W LED (warm white 2,400 lumen) https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel00928/30w-led-floodlight/dp/LA07314 - (£7 each) equivalent to 300W Halogen. If you use Halogen, then you can get up to 400W...
  7. Peter Sigsworth

Plants can be just as easily killed by too much love :love::love:- ie over watering or too much fertilizer
  8. Peter Sigsworth

27th September 2022 - Day 12 Clear growth, not long to harvest now.
  9. Peter Sigsworth

I'm trying to help people out here and what I said earlier about the algae I now have - it should be in quads but it is single celled so definitely not scenedesmus. That could be the reason I'm getting success and not because I have green fingers. I'm just thinking that my stock isn't...
  10. Peter Sigsworth

Not if you keep it on the go permanently - mine has been running for 3 years now with 3 monthly sub-culturing (or so). No arificial light just East facing window ledge, even in winter. i have a smaller backup next to it.
  11. Peter Sigsworth

Required Practical Enzymes KS4

great stuff. Did the year 8 version yesterday (room temp no buffers), trialled it on Wednesday took 6 mins, yesterday took nearly 10 mins - Amylase is very fickle (mine was pancreatic amylase) 0.1% pancreatin 2% starch 5ml of each
  12. Peter Sigsworth

Good advice - All is not lost - elodea in bicarbonate indicator also works well as well as a leaf hanging above the indicator.
  13. Peter Sigsworth

How about me waiting until I get a nice large quantity of algae and I'll post a 7ml vial of the concentrated stock culture to you - try to subculture that. I know my stock works well - PM me your school addresses first two gets them and if you can get a result then we know that my strain is the...
  14. Peter Sigsworth

I think my algae are not the original scenedesmus quadricauda as I had a look under the microscope at them and they are single celled. I reckon mine got contaminated with native algae from the air as I noticed it is a lot easier to propagate now. The bottom line is all you need is green algae...
  15. Peter Sigsworth

Try freeing the algae away from the sides by moving the bubble stone up and down on the sides, spin the vessel at the same time until you have cleaned off all the stuck bits.
  16. Peter Sigsworth

What plant to use for potometer

Another vote for laurel
  17. Peter Sigsworth

Day 7 - 21st September, progressing well, no sticking to sides now (only occurred once on day 3)
  18. Peter Sigsworth

Sugar Solution for GCSE Osmosis Required Practical

What concentrations do you use?