Recent content by Rock Chick

1. Rock Chick

testing in schools

I'm in but scrabbling around trying to find useful things to do - mainly binning things that "might be useful" but haven't been needed for over 3 years. My labs are tidy and all lab checks done. Last lock down was very productive - I did the stock check, ordering, checked all chemicals were...
  2. Rock Chick

furlough??

I did about 15 on Monday :laughing: :sleeping:
  3. Rock Chick

testing in schools

Ha, me too :D . Loads of "small" gloves that only fit me, tons of takeaway containers, stop clocks, trays - a smorgasbord of technician wants!
  4. Rock Chick

testing in schools

We've been testing KW children and boarders for a couple of weeks, no need for the bucket yet!
  5. Rock Chick

testing in schools

We have had half a dozen or so voids and no positives. My concern is the same, we are in an area will a very high number of cases in the community yet no positives so far. We are not medics and the test is self administered so an inadequate/inefficient swab will give a negative result even if...
  6. Rock Chick

testing in schools

So an update is in order. I had my first "shift" today and I was on the processing desk. Everything right from registration to dismissal was set up approprately, there was an adequate amount of PPE and sanitiser and all in all I am a lot more confident of the systems in place than I was after...
  7. Rock Chick

Teacher Perks survey

I got it this morning. Although it was addressed to me as a Science Technician, this job title did not appear on their list of school staff. I went throught the first few questions (answering "don't know") and they were asking about who determines policies, budgets etc within the school - I...
  8. Rock Chick

Technicians Role

This is one of my pet gripes as well. We have a music teacher who regularly phones to track down students who should be in a music lesson - if you know which lesson they are in (which he must because he knows where to phone) why don't you just email the teacher or the student - they have iPads...
  9. Rock Chick

Technicians Role

None - what would a Maths/Geography/English/History...teacher do? Obviously I help out but it is by no means an expectation. Fortunately my HoD is very supportive and if anyone outside science says "ask the tech to do it" he refuses on my behalf.
  10. Rock Chick

testing in schools

I've just done the training. It is very basic. A lot of the people who volunteered are exam invigilators and cover supervisors, they all swarmed around the front desk to collect their materials - absolutely no concept of social distancing, when I arrived there were about 20 people in the room...
  11. Rock Chick

In school today I wonder whether we will be advised to work from home

We had already put "learn at home" in place for the first 2 weeks of term before yesterdays announcement. Even though the students here are generally very good at complying with the rules, School feels so much safer without them! I'm limited to what I can do at home as I put all my paperwork in...
  12. Rock Chick

testing in schools

These are the 2 documents that my school was sending out (and are posted on the school website). I think it's standard wording with the school name added. https://www.rgshw.com/_site/data/files/documents/governor%20statements/BDFBC61D2767C1E1ACCEB1E346ECEED1.pdf...
  13. Rock Chick

testing in schools

We've been told that year groups will be allocated either "morning" period 1-4 or "afternoon" period 5-8 and will be off timetable for the whole of their session irrespective of when they get tested. I don't know what they do/where they go once they have their result. I'm glad I'm not having to...
  14. Rock Chick

FREEZING COLD PREP ROOM

It's freezing in the whole department...except in the chemical store where my flammables cupboard is where it's a balmy 25 degrees :rolleyes:. I wish I had a £1 for every time I've raised the issue with the site manager.
  15. Rock Chick

testing in schools

I have emetophobia - I think that excludes me from front line testing :sick: