Recent content by IfieldCC

1. IfieldCC

Wet specimens

My top tip would be don't do it. We had loads of incorrectly sealed specimens here when I started, random bits of roadkill and other items that a previous teacher thought were wonderful. I don't want to breath in the fumes of these no matter how minimal, and I'm sure the students of whichever...
  2. IfieldCC

My job was advertised yesterday

Out of curiosity how do you divide the workload?
  3. IfieldCC

phosphorus pentachloride

Thank you
  4. IfieldCC

phosphorus pentachloride

Does anybody still use this and if so which exam board are you with? Thanks
  5. IfieldCC

Hyacinth bulbs

Thanks
  6. IfieldCC

Hyacinth bulbs

I had some hyacinths growing in bulb forcing vases and forgot all about them until alerted by the smell. If I just leave them to dry back will they be any good for next year if I refrigerate them? Thanks
  7. IfieldCC

Sugar snake using love hearts.

Apologies as I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread. Has anybody got any good tips or tricks for this demo please as I am getting rather lacklustre results. Thanks
  8. IfieldCC

labels and sticky residue on bottles

I found on the plastic type of bottle/powder pot that white spirit etc ruins the plastic but giving it a good rub with some vegetable oil worked.
  9. IfieldCC

reducing the cost of solvent waste and chemical waste

This is what I've been doing since Sept with the fume cupboard getting very little use for anything else. I'm currently working my way through 2.5ltrs of cyclohexanone. I have found with disposal it's the carriage that costs the money and when I had a crazy amount to get rid of I managed to...
  10. IfieldCC

Prep room temp

18 but feels colder! Have to keep popping out for a wander to warm up.
  11. IfieldCC

Does anyone, use Cobalt blue glass, for viewing Mg burning/flame tests ?

Welding filters for thermite and magnesium. We have blue glass for flame testing but it's rarely asked for.
  12. IfieldCC

Using baby powder in a lab

They are only meant to use a small amount to sprinkle over the beam so it shouldn't cause that much of a problem.
  13. IfieldCC

Surplus Glassware

I've tried getting rid of bits on here, ebay and facebook marketplace but never had any luck. Did end up donating a fair bit to the art department for drawing though.
  14. IfieldCC

Exam invigilation

If it stops them bringing in external staff then maybe it's a good thing. It makes sense for the school to limit contact with outsiders. Right now a lot of staff are being laid off, hours reduced etc and if there was ever a time to 'play ball' I think this is it. All be it a tad extreme the...
  15. IfieldCC

Exam invigilation

How busy are you with practical requests or have your school stopped doing them? What I mean is can you justify saying 'no' without looking like an unhelpful eejit.