Recent content by CgPD

1. C

Hanna pH meter storage ideas

We use the Hanna storage caps Rock Chick linked to on our bench top meters. For the little red hand held ones I found some conical tipped graduated test tubes. They have a rim that fits well to the neck of the probe and stand in a Test tube rack. The conical means i use less solution to keep...
  2. C

Ionic & Covalent conduction

I think the only common covalent bonded substances that conduct are graphite and silicon. Melting to conduct would be ionic bonding usually, but you can find a salt that melts at a lower temperature than NaCl, that is high temperature work! Glass is an insulator cold but can conduct when hot.
  3. C

Dishwasher

We have a lancer glass washer - it seems bomb proof but the price! I usually do everything by hand (small dept) but put micro stuff through it as it washes at 90deg with stronger stuff than me. I have also heard Miele are the ones to go for if you have the cash.
  4. C

Haematology practicals

We have one - cant copy it over but use 540nm, dilute the blood 1:100 with 1% ammonium chloride. we setup 10 5ml dilutions from this (1 is 0.5 ml blood dil:4.5ml 1%Ammoniumchloride, 10 is just dilute blood) this gives the curve. we use defib horse blood and assume Hb is 12.2g/l. Then taking 20ul...
  5. C

Calibrate salter balance

If only it were that simple - I have the manuals and the other 5 calibrated beautifully. This one needs 200g or fails at testing when you turn it on. I n both cases I suspect someone overloaded the balance by a large amount somewhere in the past. If there is a slater manual you should be able to...
  6. C

Calibrate salter balance

Interesting question - I have a balance doing something similar - an ohaus traveller that is needs 200g on it to get to zero! wont even pass startup without it. I have kept it as a curiosity and in the vague hope I may come up with a solutions someday.
  7. C

What is that smell?

You help provide education and I think the admin team have definitely been educated with this one!
  8. C

Will expired nutrient agar still work?

Helps if the antibiotic disks and enzyme have been kept in the fridge
  9. C

The fragility of society

So...that was a yes then? People trying to get in to petrol stations have blocked several major roads down here in SE London, including most I have to use. I have seen the tankers stuck in the traffic in view of the forecourt unable to do anything because of it. Its madness - how does making...
  10. C

Key keys keys..... bane of my life.

I have a tray full of keys - all helpfully with number tags on - of course I have two sets of lists of key numbers, which do not line up any where. I have found the few that are useful (a grand total of 4 from the mess) and keep them safe. Just keep lab, chem stores and sharps keys on me.
  11. C

Will expired nutrient agar still work?

I have been using NA that is further OOD than that and it seems to work. as for old chemicals, we have a bottle of iron oxide in a deposit bottle with a return value of 4d ! How old - who knows?
  12. C

Only one applicant!

It's not just school technicians. I was previously employed in veterinary diagnostics (blood testing), at the london lab and i was earning 10 - 11 per hour. We were not allowed london weighting as we were already several thousand more per year than equivalents at their main lab in devon. I...
  13. C

Help needed - funny puns!

I would tell a chemistry joke but the best ones argon
  14. C

Help needed - funny puns!

in our busier lab our skely has a lab coat - might give it googles so fully PPE equiped!
  15. C

Faulty Bunsen Burner

I would also check the chimney, they can unscrew and if its loose gas can escape at the bottom (pupils managed it at a previous school!). It is very hard to see it burn as its a small flame, but it would get hot quickly.