Recent content by Bianchi

1. Bianchi

Fixing a spark counter

Modern caps are a bit smaller now. No harm in trying it if voltage/capacitance are equivalent. Just make sure you wire up the tags to correct polarity if they are polarised. Looking at the age of it the dielectric will have probably broken down. Common fault in old caps from that era.
  2. Bianchi

Pay

Oh how I laughed.
  3. Bianchi

producing oxygen to go into boiling tubes

No need for vaseline with tubes. Just make sure the bungs are not old and hardened. I usually get at least 5 working days out of them. Jars seem to last a bit longer as long as your jar/lid is clean and chip free. You will need vaseline for them tho'.
  4. Bianchi

Is this the beginning of the end for the Science Technician role?

Most of the above statements are 90% right. In 30 years I have seen many initiatives? enacted to try and change the job for the better. All have failed. Why? Lack of commitment by employers, schools and yes, even trade unions and technicians doomed them all. Up here in Scotland we're under 2...
  5. Bianchi

Half term funnies

And was your reply here's my lighter !
  6. Bianchi

Im done

Sorry to hear your leaving with all that c**p you have been through. I'm a couple of years behind you, retire Oct. 2023, and despair at the way this job is going. Something has to be done soon or long term this is a dead career, certainly at this level.
  7. Bianchi

More mystery objects

Possibly special solder. Try a bolt on it to see.
  8. Bianchi

More mystery objects

Last one solder aid tool.
  9. Bianchi

Playing with trains

If he has a ps4/xbox/p.c. then Train Sim World 2020/2 shows how to drive a train, all kinds on many routes but not steam at the moment. It also allows you to undestand signalling. The German system is a real challenge.
  10. Bianchi

Tollens Reagent

We were told disposal by waste company. Something to do with the silver nitrate not being enviro friendly.
  11. Bianchi

What is Santa bringing you?

Cycling gear(hopefully) and an add on to Train Sim World 2020. I could probably do without the add on as I'm struggling trying to drive the German trains. Revenge for losing 2 World Wars?
  12. Bianchi

New report: Shining a light on school science technicians

Rant alert. Well, what to say. After 30 years of reports, investigations, enquiries and any other name you can call it we are still where we were when I started 30 years ago. Adrift, unrecognised etc. I have tried on at least one occasion to get either local councillors and M.PS. interested in...
  13. Bianchi

CLOSED - Senior Science Technician - Bedford High School, Leigh. Closing 13/11/2020.

Same up here in Scotland. We had a thing up here about 15 years ago called single status. It was meant to "harmonize" jobs within the council. Of course they could not resist trying and in some cases downgrading jobs. The techs missed that by a whisker. I asked my union, I won't mention them by...