Discussion in 'Supporting Biology' started by Janeyd66, Mar 6, 2018.

  1. Good morning all. Every year we make wormeries with layers of soil and sand but the results are often not good. Occasionally we get terrific trails and mixed up layers but most times there is very little movement at all. The wormeries are the ones on a wooden frame with 2 sheets of Perspex about 3 cm apart. Our soil layers are about 3-4 cm and our sand is 1cm deep. The layers are lightly tamped down and we leave grass cutting and old leaves etc on the top. About 10 worms are introduced and then we put black covers over the apparatus. Does anyone have any handy hints ?!
  2. Hi, Janey. We used to do wormeries years ago. A tricky experiment. Latterly we substituted powdered chalk for sand. Soil has to be very moist and in good condition. Similarly worms need to be healthy and active. Some years it just didn't work. In the end we gave it up. As I remember it 10 worms is a bit high. Try 5/6. Good luck.
    Janeyd66 likes this.
  3. Thanks Bianchi - I feared as much! I'd better have the worms do a fitness test before we put them into their temporary home...
  4. Worms aren't very active at this time of year so that might be a reason. What sort of worms do you use? If you dig up deep living earthworms they should work but if you buy in wormery type worms - tiger worms and the like - they don't bury deep but just live in the top layer so won't mix it up much. I never knew that there were lots of types of worms until I started keeping a wormery at home for kitchen scraps.....
  5. I have used these years ago but without success. We had 2 going and one showed a few trails and the other nothing. Also the worms seemed to disappear which was most strange. They also had a tendency to dry out. We used earthworms but this was in the 80's - we weren't aware of other worms to use.
  6. Thank you all. The second set that we made with much thinner layers of sand between the soil was more effective and we saw a few trails. We started with slightly damp soil and sand rather than watering from the top afterwards and didn't tamp down the soil too firmly. I think that the recent frozen earth didn't help the worms feel particularly active either!

Share This Page