Who runs science club at your school?

What is the situation of how science/STEM club is run in your school?

Found it interesting that during a STEM webinar it was just me as the only tech to be there. I'm curious as one of the responses for when asked by the oannel as to why get involved in a science club was career progression.

When one of my colleagues left it was just me as a tech and I found it hard to keep science club alive with all my other duties I was snowed under.

We have two NQT's that run Science club, I get the equipment ready, sometimes take part, sometimes not, depending on my workload and how interested I am in the topic for that particular week.
NQT's get lumbered basically, difficult to say no when you're an NQT / new to the job and it's peddled as though it's the way it works in Science and the newbies don't know any different.

What is the situation of how science/STEM club is run in your school?

Found it interesting that during a STEM webinar it was just me as the only tech to be there. I'm curious as one of the responses for when asked by the oannel as to why get involved in a science club was career progression.

When one of my colleagues left it was just me as a tech and I found it hard to keep science club alive with all my other duties I was snowed under.
One of the teachers - usually the one newest to the department who doesn't feel they can say no! - runs Science Club helped by the subject ambassadors (prefects) and the techs prepare the stuff. I think I was on the same webinar Jimbob and found it curious that the panel in one breath said there is "no career progression for school science technicians" and then later on were advocating running STEM clubs "for career progression". I can see how running a club could, time permitting, give job satisfaction, but unless this experience was then used to get a job in industry using the "career progression" card is basically saying we've scraped the bottom of the barrel and can't find anyone else to run it so we're calling on you.

karen b

COMMITTEE
When I first started in this school science club was run by interested year 12 students with a teacher overseeing them. They used to design the activities (with advice from us and the science club folder of ideas) and organise everything they needed.

Now it is shared between the two newest members of staff. One runs general science club with help from year 12, and every three weeks or so there is a dissection club mostly run by students with a biology teacher overseeing things.

karen b

COMMITTEE
The idea of using sixth formers would be interesting!
They are really good, enthusiastic and have great ideas.

I should add that our science club is only for years 7 and 8.

The dissection club usually has a practice a day or so before with as many sixth form biologists as want to do some extra dissection stuff and then two or three run the dissection for the younger girls.

Me and the Chem tech run ours, no teachers involved. It's our choice and we enjoy doing it, also I used to be education officer at a large science centre so have loads of experience doing it. Probs the best part of my job TBH.

Myself and my apprentices run the STEM club. Gives us a chance to bring out lesser used equipment and do stuff that interests non-science students too.

We had two ks3 and ks4 but don't know what is happening next year. teachers run them, we help.

I have a dyson vacuum ordered for them to take apart for some time in 2021 though.

I run the science club here, but I quite enjoy doing it. I can do all the fun stuff that generally don't get done due to time constraints. Also to show the KS3 kids that science is fun and not sitting in a lab being talked to.