What does this stand for?

Discussion in 'Supporting Physics' started by Irene, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Hi all,

I'm not a physicist, but one of the teachers has come across a joule meter (Griffin....yes rather old) It has F.S.D. 100W written on it, could someone tell me what F.S.D. stands for please. I have googled and and come across various meanings.
    It would be nice to know.

Thanks
    Irene

2. Tee

Tee

Full Scale Deflection refers to the full range of motion of an analog 'needle'.

KeithD and Nick Mitchener like this.
  3. Dod

Dod

Tee beat me to it

4. Thankyou

5. This term has come up in fairly recent A-Level questions which I think is a bit harsh. There will be many pupils who only use digital equipment whilst studying electricity throughout their school experience. The exam boards do specify somewhere that pupils should use both analogue and digital equipment but I doubt everyone notices that stipulation.

6. Which board was that with out of curiosity?
    We have two of these that never get requested but I can start insisting the students see them if the examiners are pulling stunts like that!

7. but they can't even tell the time from the analogue clocks... :oops:

clairelucas likes this.
  8. We do AQA at A-Level. An example can be found here: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/AQA-74083A-SQP.PDF
    It is a specimen for the new course (question 2.3). It is an example of something that might easily be missed out and leave pupils at a disadvantage. Another example of anachronistic terms used for me would be a rheostat. We are lucky enough to have many types of variable resistor and I always show the rheostat and use it as a 2 and 3-way set up to see the benefits of controlling voltage over current, but I have worked in schools where we just had turn dial potentiometers and again this word is used frequently in papers.
    A few years ago another similar issue was noticed in Edecxel IGCSE papers. The question asked how could you measure the diameter of a coin or maybe it was a marble, using a ruler and 2 set squares. Looking at the examiner comment it was evident that a large proportion of the pupils had never heard of a set square!
    I believe a few years ago mention was made in a paper by AQA of a travelling micrcoscope. Again I only show the pupils this for that very reason. I haven't used one since the early 1990s.

9. then I'm anachronistic... :eek:

10. I think many of us are, especially if we have worked in science for a few decades :) I still think of a capacitor as a condenser! Trouble is there are many Physics departments for example, especially in city centre state schools (I hasten to add this is a generalisation, but I know of 2 at least) where none of the staff have been teaching or being a technician for more than 5 years. I just think it is wrong that pupils can be disadvantaged in this way, through no fault of their own. The people who set the exams could bear this in mind when using terms such as fsd, rheostat, travelling microscope etc.

11. Dod

Dod

Travelling microscope is great adapted to move a sensor accurately for taking affa wee measurements, like wot we did when measuring magnetic field from a single conductor

chris vaudin likes this.
  12. All these items of equipment are very useful but I was just trying to say that the assumption boards have that all pupils are aware of these tools is unfair.

13. Dod

Dod

And their assumption that we have budgets to cover everything in their exam demands.