Viewing stomata without nail varnish

Discussion in 'Top Tips' started by Peter Sigsworth, Jul 3, 2019.

1. You can see stomata very clearly if you use the SAPS recommended method. No need for nail varnish just cut a square piece of leaf and place on a slide with cover slip and drop of water (underside up) and observe down a standard microscope- You need tradescantia zebrina -
    here's one I did earlier
    upload_2019-7-3_15-17-57.png
    upload_2019-7-3_15-19-54.png

If you use strong sugar solution the stomata close - distilled water they will open.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Helen J and Murrs like this.
  2. We do this now - much easier for all! You can get away without using a coverslip too unless you want really high magnification....

3. Yes, this tradescantia method is great and tradescantia is so easy to grow - every time I cut a piece off to propagate it always grows. It has much more of a wow factor than the nail varnish method. Here is my best photo (400x).

Attached Files:

4. Brilliant, @Kiki. Better quality microscopes than ours

5. The students don't get that microscope :) - they use standard ones and the teacher can connect the good one to their laptop. But standard microscopes give great pics too as you showed.

Peter Sigsworth likes this.
  6. Might think of getting a good one for demos with a good quality eyepiece digital camera

7. I've just tried this using the green spiderwort we have in the department. It works really well and is a lot less faff than using nail varnish. It's just a pity that the last two year 7 classes have just done stomata :(

Jaytee likes this.
  8. we always use tradescantia, so much easier. If you dont have tradescantia, you can do an epidermal peel of geranium leaves without nail varnish this also works well

Jaytee likes this.
  9. Great idea, I get a nasty feeling that it will be the usual," but the kids enjoy the peeling" Like we are deliberately removing the fun!

ClaireS likes this.
  10. I've used this method for a while now, unfortunately we don't have the red variety of tradescantia but the green one still gives far better results than using nail polish.

11. Just get a few pre-rooted cuttings form ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Rooted...579193?hash=item48ccadac39:g:zvkAAOSw5y9dEPDg
    Will recover and root in ordinary compost with plastic bag over for a few days - very easy to grow.

12. I actually have that plant! I've had a quick go and works really well. Thanks for sharing