The undermining of senior science technicians?

I'll keep this brief..

Essentially, as they got rid of my colleague it seems I have taken on the role of senior science technician (now being a lone tech).

I am not paid extra for this, and I have only been with my agency just over a year.

My question is can such a position be undermined by simply shifting on such responsibilities to a trainee tech, without any discussion, training or extra pay?

Not sure how I feel about this. Only good thing is my contract with my agency will end soon and I will be able to negotiate something. I have been contacted by several over agencies so it seems that there is still a need for technicians regardless of this pandemic.

I feel tactics like this severely undermine the role of senior science technician, and certainly makes a mockery of career progression. I find it personally wrong.

Since deregulation of education, it has been an effective free-for-all. The only thing you can do is try to find an employer that still adheres (as much as possible) to the regulations that were in place before. This should guarantee you proper structure, pay scales and representation.

Since deregulation of education, it has been an effective free-for-all. The only thing you can do is try to find an employer that still adheres (as much as possible) to the regulations that were in place before. This should guarantee you proper structure, pay scales and representation.
I guess this situation is happening because of this pandemic and a new trust taking over - perhaps they might adhere to it. If not, then at least this situation will teach me to read up more on things.

I'll keep this brief..

Essentially, as they got rid of my colleague it seems I have taken on the role of senior science technician (now being a lone tech).

I am not paid extra for this, and I have only been with my agency just over a year.

My question is can such a position be undermined by simply shifting on such responsibilities to a trainee tech, without any discussion, training or extra pay?

Not sure how I feel about this. Only good thing is my contract with my agency will end soon and I will be able to negotiate something. I have been contacted by several over agencies so it seems that there is still a need for technicians regardless of this pandemic.

I feel tactics like this severely undermine the role of senior science technician, and certainly makes a mockery of career progression. I find it personally wrong.
I think that this has been quite a common thing over the years. Be careful as you do have much to learn in a very short time and I think that it is unfair pushing all these responsibilities on you without paying you for them.

That is why I won't be signing another agency contract until there is a job specification!
I don't blame you Jim Bob. The thing about Agency work is that it can dry up pretty quick if you slip up or a Member of the Teaching staff takes a dislike to you. I myself have been approached and Headhunted for a number of years on a daily basis by them. If I were you I would apply for permanent positions. Your year of experience will stand you in good stead. Good luck.

There's two of us and neither of us are a senior technician as we are both on the same grade.
We used to be the same, two of us on the same grade... now there is one of me! Back in the good old days there was a tech for each subject, and I was the biology tech, now my contract states 'science tech' - although I'm paid for and do a senior role. Interestingly, when the CDT tech took voluntary redundancy, they put someone in as 'resources tech'...they do the same job with a lower pay grade. I reckon once I go this role will be the same - although the person will be expected to pick up where I leave off.