Testing leaves for starch

Discussion in 'Supporting Biology' started by Helen J, Jul 3, 2019.

1. We are doing this next week. I don't want to buy in new pelargoniums (geraniums) to replace the ones that HOD killed ('they'll grow back' - 'no they won't they're DEAD'). We have used spider plants and green & white variegated tradescantia. None of them work particularly well. Does anyone know anything else that does work?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. We usually use geraniums - easy to grow and not had any complaints about it not working in the last 15 years....... :)

3. green or variegated coleus work, the spider plants don't work because they store sucrose not starch.

Any dicot leaf should work as well as long as it is not too leathery.

4. Good to know about the spider plants, we used them this week and we were wondering why they didn't work! Will stick to geraniums in future.

5. I find variegated geraniums are best - variety like 'Frank Headley'. It is very easy to take cuttings so you can keep some stock plants on the go.
    [​IMG]

Shows chlorophyll/chloroplasts required for photosynthesis really clearly.

6. Someone here (a biologist) recently tried oak leaves and was impressed with the results. Might be worth a try if you have a tree in the school grounds/a local park etc.

7. 1 <3 Daphnia

1 <3 Daphnia Guest

I also heard basil works which is readily available from the supermarket at the moment but as we have geraniums here I haven't tried it.

8. Any Plantain on your school field?

9. We always seem to do this in the winter! :(

10. School field, waz dat. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

ClaireS likes this.
  11. Awwwww, no field?:(

12. Apparently, at 116, Paul's memory is not what it used to was.

13. technically we have a field but it is in Mitcham and the school is in Victoria, (it's a 40 min drive away) they built an underground sports hall so they no longer bus the students there and back for games. (Think they are trying to sell it.)