Term time only or 52 weeks?

Discussion in 'Science Technicians - General Discussion' started by GeorgetheScienceTech, Apr 20, 2018.

1. TTO

love the time off but miss the money !

I would not do this job full time money is so bad .

2. I think thats term time plus 6 weeks as I am 39 weeks +2

3. Sounds a lot for one tech!

We only do 'science' things, so most of this doesn't apply to us. No major repair work, especially electrical, nor PAT testing (not qualified). The caretaker does stuff like moving equipment, and the cleaners clean. We water about a dozen plants used in science, any others probably end up as twigs. No livestock. IT for anything to do with computers, printers, projectors etc. Different tech for any wood/metal work related things. We're term time and ten days. We ensured our contracts, which were renewed when we became an academy, read 'only science related duties' - so we can't be used by other departments.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  4. TTO as are all of the techies in our school. Many moons ago, when I first trained as a technician I was "full time all the time" and loved the holidays. I had the radio on and got stock taking done, the labs restocked and was allowed to leave a bit early too - my boss was lovely. Oh, those were the days! :):)

5. It would be odd to be employed for the odd half a week - could 46.5 weeks be the amount of time you are paid for (including holiday), not the amount of time you have to be in work?

For example, 39 weeks of term time + 1 week of inset days + 1 week in the holidays = 41 weeks, then your holiday is pro-rata. So if your holiday entitlement was 27 days + 8 bank/statutory holidays then 35 x (41/52) = 27.6 days, i.e. another 5.5 weeks.

6. I think that's what I'm paid on a 40 week contract - the 6.5 is holiday pay. For me this means term time including inset days + 1 extra week

7. I work 39 weeks term time + 8 weeks holidays and am paid full time so I think 46.5 weeks is a way to pay you less. You are just about full time. No-one in industry would accept being paid less for the same hours

8. Yes this is the only other alternative possibility, if you actually have to work 46.5 weeks (rather than that being the amount of time you are being paid for) then factoring in the other 5.5 weeks of the year would be paid holiday, so you would be full time. Worth checking your contract (or asking to see one if you haven't got one!)

9. TT+1 here. Fits in with kids at school and single parent life.

10. We work TTO but including holiday pay we get paid for 49.5 weeks. It is averaged out over the year so gives the appearance of full time pay.

11. Shannon

Shannon Shannon

Just found out I am 39+2 (which counts as PD days then five days extra)

12. TTO + 1 as I am only part-time. When I started in this job many moons ago as an FE/HE college tech, it was 52 weeks and decent pay (for the 1980s). Plenty to do in the holidays and could take time off during the year as long as it was organised enough in advance. We had a large team of techs though, so much easier, though we did have 16 labs, 5 prep rooms and 4 very large stores to stock take annually!. Would like to have the option of 52 week as I agree that the move to TTO has been detrimental to the service but not sure I would need 52 weeks in my current school (11-16). Certainly the pay these days isn't as good in comparison to other jobs as it used to be - another sign of the squeeze on education budgets and the short sighted belief that support staff can be "let go" without as much impact as losing teachers in order to balance budgets.

13. We get the best of both worlds here. Get paid for 52 weeks, but only *have to* work the term, unless something needs to be done during the summer, eg get the microscopes serviced or waste chemicals disposed of. I used to do the PAT work in the hols, but that got put on to our maintenance team. Very glad too!