Synthesis of copper sulphate/sulfate

Discussion in 'Supporting Chemistry' started by Jimbob1988, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Long story short, my senior tech has walked out and I am now on my own.

Been asking teachers to be more specific in their requests and some not playing ball..

Anyways, I just have the above information to work on (year 10/aqa).

Is this a RP/dos anyone know what it is?

Many thanks (using the time waiting to make up solutions or I would be doing the research on it myself - fingers crossed for the hive mind!).

2. 1g CuO, 10ml 1M Sulfuric acid plus usual glass ware and evaporating basins or CLEAPSS have a method on their site.
    It is a required practical.

3. Look at PP027 - making copper sulfate crystals from CLEAPSS. Works beautifully.

If they aren't already aware of this they may be expecting a larger scale. This vid shows it in action

Hope that helps

4. If you go onto the AQA website the handbooks for all of the required practicals are on there to print. If your head tech didn't have files printed already you can make yourself some ( when you have time of course) I'm doing the same practical this afternoon - each group needs 1M sulphuric acid, copper II oxide powder, spatula, glass rod, 100ml measuring cylinder, 100ml and 250ml beakers, mat, Bunsen, tripod, gauze funnel and paper,small conical flask, evaporating basin and a crystallising dish. Make sure the evaporating basins fit the top of the 250 beakers.

5. Your senior tech walked out!? What happened?!

I know it's totally derailing the topic (sorry :(), but when someone starts a post like that you know it's gonna be juicy...

Emma likes this.
  6. ^ This. o_O

7. Way we do it:
    • Heat 20ml of 1M Sulfuric acid to 50oC - we use a boiling tube each and a single thermostatic water bath shared between the class
    • Add copper(II) oxide half a spatula at a time, stir and repeat until no more solid will dissolve
    • Filter into a 100ml conical flask
    • Pour resultant (blue) solution into a crystallizing dish and heat until half the volume has evaporated - allow to cool and let crystals form for 3-5 days (depends on ambient temp and humidity)
    • Observe crystals for size and shape
    Hope that's useful :)

Also what the hell happened?

8. Thanks guys, that's perfect!

Another teacher has asked for something similar, but she is requesting different concentrations of copper sulfate (5 sets). She has titled it 'Making a salt', any ideas?

Many thanks

9. She will be measuring the mass of salt.

10. Tell her to change the title to "Making a faff"
    You sure she didn't ask for different concentrations of the sulfuric acid instead? Even so, don't know what the point would be.

Anyway you were saying about your Senior Tech...

Emma likes this.
  11. Yeah if she is ordering the copper sulphate in soln she isn't 'making' it. Ask her to clarify.
    Assuming she's evaporating the water off to compare mass, which is what it sounds like, she should just need bunsen/tripod/gauze, evap basins, measuring cylinders, the copper sulphates w. pipettes and some balances.

12. Why on earth are you bending over backwards for teachers that obviously couldn't give a damn about your predicament?

You've asked for their help at this difficult time and they've given you the two fingers. Some people are so selfish and self centered it's beyond belief.

Anyhoo mini rant over. I like the CLEAPSS version of this, particularly that the weight and concentration given means you don't end up with huge ammounts of unreacted copper oxide that needs disposing of. Also much prefer the evaporation stage being done in a conical flask, I well remember the mess when the teacher needed to speed up the process being done in evaporating basins by turning up the heat!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  13. use a water bath for this, we had a bad burn with this method, the students will overheat it and you can't watch all 30 students all the time.

14. edexcel recommend a thermostatically controlled water bath as the heat source - we always have a couple set up @ 50 degrees for them to put their beakers

15. We preheat the 0.5M sulfuric acid in the water bath at 50 degrees. Students just directly measure out the required amount and add the copper oxide as needed. With most of our students, boiling sulfuric acid on a gauze is a big no no. In fact, I am generally against the use of boiling sulfuric acid or anything that can "accidentally" lead to it because if something goes wrong... it goes VERY wrong.

16. I keep having to stop teachers heating it on a bunsen it as they see it on cleapss or the rsc. it's just not safe.

17. The CLEAPSS method uses a beaker of hot water to heat the acid not a bunsen (it would probably be an idea to use cooler than just boiled though).