Support staff in full time from Monday (1st June)

As per the title, our school is having support staff (excluding TAs) in as normal from Monday 1st June. Full working hours. Teachers are still on a rota.
We're expecting 14 students.

Is anyone else back as normal next term?
I'd probably expect redundancies on the way for most of us but I hope not.

We are in London and many of use use public transport. I have been very busy working from home but would like to be able to go to school for chemical stock. So far, two of us went for a day to pack PPE to donate. The school has consulted staff a few weeks ago and all the parents had to fill a survey. We were only told that there will be rotas. My colleague is on reserve this week for reception duty which is quite strange as she leaves very far and the other technician can walk to school; luckily she has not been called so far. Our school has a high rate of BAME students (mainly Bangladeshi origin) so parents are quite reluctant to send their children to school. We will probably know more next week.

there is more work not less under social distancing and there are still practical requirements.

Also join a union.
I suspect that most of the practical work will go out of the window during the next year. You are right that there will be more work-for example although students are allocated their own labcoats for an academic year how are we able to keep labcoats apart on their Hangers?

I suspect that most of the practical work will go out of the window during the next year. You are right that there will be more work-for example although students are allocated their own labcoats for an academic year how are we able to keep labcoats apart on their Hangers?
labcoats are not PPE according to CLEAPSS so don't need them.

Techitude

COMMITTEE
Our HOD is keen to continue practicals at the same level once we are back in after September. We have already worked out how to present the equipment in a safe manner with students having their own set rather than group work as before. Our work load will increase to accommodate this but we have capacity for that so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. We will all have to modify the way we work for a while until the virus is truly under control.

I hope I am at an advantage due to being a school tech. There is a huge back log of work and IT demands are going to difficult to cater for and time consuming.

H&S audits took place this week and it was expected 8th return but no communication so I assume not.
We are currently talking about the draft risk assesment.
Our HOD is keen to continue practicals at the same level once we are back in after September. We have already worked out how to present the equipment in a safe manner with students having their own set rather than group work as before. Our work load will increase to accommodate this but we have capacity for that so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. We will all have to modify the way we work for a while until the virus is truly under control.
How many do you estimate in a lab?

Anyways it is about being flexible during this time, our job roles will probably evolve outside of science, I am working 1 day a week with a small bubble group from the 15th alongside other members of the school. It won't be a case of coming back and only focusing on preproom/science unfortunately.

Well that should apply to loads of staff in school, all PE teachers redundant no PE lessons, no engagement officers no kids in school, less kitchen staff, no food tech, no DT tech, no first aid, no drama, no art.

Point being stop scaremongering.
No intention of scaremongering Chris to me it seems an absolutely reality and I do believe that this will materialise in the months ahead. I iDo wish you well and hope that you keep safe. Best wishes. George

You are probably talking about doubling the year sorts if you have 24in a set as we have. Keep safe.

That does not address the problem of the spacing of lab coats Paul. Luckily we have a number of causes where the students can be divided. However there will still be big problems.
they go in a cupboard until there is a vaccine, CLEAPSS say they are not PPE and should not be sharedand not to use them, if you need labcoats then they should bring their own personal ones in.

STEM1

Dave
Still no word on it. I have been asked to come in for a day every six weeks or so, to help supervise the children of key workers, but that's all.
I came in today to tidy the prep room, water the plants, do some repairs and check the chemical store. No-one has been in for months now. It's all a bit unsettling. I hope for some normality soon.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Our school is having Year 10 in for some face to face contact in a couple of weeks time. Year 12 will be in the week after. This will be in small groups spread out over the week meeting with form tutors, heads of year, etc not full lessons. On-line teaching will carry on for the foreseeable.

1/4 of yr10 and 1/4 yr12 each day mon-thu plus the key workers from Monday 15th is the plan here.