Splashing it about

Discussion in 'Top Tips' started by Dod, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Dod

Dod

Quote, a good one, " " Also it's not staff splashing it about that's the problem - I always make sure bottles go out almost empty because pupils don't seem to know difference between "a few drops" and "a good splash" """ got me remembering.

In a previous existence we used smaller bottles because when a recipe says to use 50 ml and they got a 250 ml bottle, it always came back half empty, ditto for a recipe asking for 10 drops. We trialled sending out small amounts in the bottles and got complaints that there was not enough stuff for the experiments. Then we sent out the stuffs in 125 ml bottles and they came back the same, half empty, but no complaints. Cut our stock solutions usage by near half -- -- -- Result !

A Walter, Sharon Watson and R Pipette like this.
  2. Definitely - the more you give them, the more they will use.

ClaireS likes this.
  3. I call it 'portion control', when i get grumped at for being mean :D

tree hugger likes this.
  4. I am looking to put everything into smaller bottles mainly to cut down what I throw away due to lack of storage space.

5. I give out things like benedicts in labelled 100ml beakers...one per pair/group and put in 20 ml if they need 10....otherwise each pair pours 80ml into their own 100ml beaker to use 10ml....if it's given out they feel the need for a full beaker each.......