Shaved ice for an ice bath

Discussion in 'Science Technicians - General Discussion' started by Jburns, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Hey guys, looking at getting a shaved ice machine/snow cone maker for making ice baths as I always find big chunks of ice not as good.

I do have a mr frosty somewhere at my parents and I am very tempted to swap the handle out for a drill :D

JoulesTC likes this.
  2. We got one of these last year - total lifesaver and strangely cathartic to use when having one of the more "interesting"* days
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8438667

*read murderously apoplectic

Helen J likes this.
  3. Was hoping for an electric one due to the fact I'm lazy

4. I buy crushed ice from Sainsburys. At £1/kg, I bet it's cheaper than that machine. Pelting the full bags onto the floor to break it up when slightly solidified is much more cathartic than winding a handle.

5. ASDA is closer and has it for £1/2kg. So might look at that instead

6. We got an ice machine when we got our new build but it dished out cubes instead of crushed ice so we couldn't really justify an ignoring it to buy in crushed all the time so we plumped for the crusher
    The handle thing does make a nice visceral crunch every turn like I imagine their necks would next time.........

stelden, Helen J, Jaytee and 2 others like this.
  7. Remind me never to upset you!

Jaytee and StElsona like this.
  8. Yes but so nice to know we aren't the only ones with these thoughts sometimes!:confused:
    Anyone remember Reggie Perrin...? Hehe.

clairelucas and Helen J like this.
  9. Neither me nor Mrs PhysicsSimon got where we are today by not remembering Reggie Perrin!

10. we make trays of 10mm cube ice cubes and have not needed to crush ice since.

Beaker likes this.
  11. Huh? That's a tiny tray! Where do you get them? Or, how did you make them?

12. we got them on ebay, they are brilliant, an end to crushed ice. mini cubes or something? flexible silicone moulds we have four of them and fill up ice cream tubs in the freezer with them. Just takes a couple of hours to freeze in our freezer.

13. Advantage Canada here. Winter time, lots of snow outside to use. When there is no snow, we just head down to the nearest ice hockey rink complex. There's always a pile of snow out back from the ice cleaning machines. Most times, the teachers plan their lessons that use ice/snow for when there is snow on the ground. :)

Jade and Beaker like this.
  14. Your teachers are weird.

15. These? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belmalia-C...XS/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345016995821&psc=1

Brilliant idea - I'm definitely getting some. Thanks for this. :)

16. I have been considering them instead but if I can get an ice crusher even happier :D