Ripple Tank MkIII Review

Does anyone have any experience of the Philip Harris Ripple Tank MkIII please?

Do you project the image of the waves onto a white board to aid viewing by the whole class? Is the image of the waves on the top of this little tank clear enough to be projected? We have desktop visualisers which connect to PCs and then display image on whiteboard, but there is often a delay between what is happening and the image being projected. We also have an OHP. Any experiences of using this piece of equipment greatly appreciated. Wanting to purchase a second ripple tank and wondering if this is a good option. Many thanks

I got the one that https://www.science2education.co.uk/ sell it has a camera mode. they gave it to me to try sale or return.

used it with a visualiser, i like it, the teachers need to practice with it though. it comes with all the accessories. there is a video on their site.

think someone on here recommended it.

1588697915604.png
PY5150
Advanced Compact Ripple Tank

We have the same ripple tank and personally I'm not a fan. Too small for an entire class to gather round, too expensive for a class set and couldn't be projected. I cobbled together my own using a signal generator and a vibration unit salvaged from an old ripple tank, with a shallow, clear tray on an overhead projector. I even plugged a speaker into the signal generator so the kids could hear the product of the waves as well as see them. I'm not a physicist but I was quite pleased with the result.

It can't be projected easily with a visualiser, but if you lift the lid up in a darkened lab it will project onto the ceiling. Thats how we use it

I love them! We have enough for the kids to work in groups of 3 round one tank. Very bright light, which means you can project onto a ceiling as s.petley has said. Only thing is to be aware of what accessories are needed and only put them out or you will find they are nicely pocket sized :eek:

We have the same ripple tank and personally I'm not a fan. Too small for an entire class to gather round, too expensive for a class set and couldn't be projected. I cobbled together my own using a signal generator and a vibration unit salvaged from an old ripple tank, with a shallow, clear tray on an overhead projector. I even plugged a speaker into the signal generator so the kids could hear the product of the waves as well as see them. I'm not a physicist but I was quite pleased with the result.
Did you mean you have the Philip Harris (Lachelles) or the Advanced compact from Science2education? Aking because one of our teachers is keen to get one and your feedback is worth considering. Thank you.