Reviving old tripods?

Discussion in 'Science Technicians - General Discussion' started by Techitude, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Techitude

Techitude COMMITTEE

Most of our tripods look like they are out of the ark! They're good quality sturdy ones but they're all completely rust coloured and look a mess.
    I've ordered a load of new ones to replace them but it seems a shame to throw them away when you are good quality.
    I hammerited all the old bunsens but obviously can't do that with the tripods as they will be heated.
    Any one with any eureka ideas as to how to rejuvenate them?

2. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

Do you have access to a shot blaster?

Otherwise emery paper/wire wool and elbow grease

3. Just leave them rusty - not worth the effort to clean them!

Emil Retaw, Jaytee, ChrisShan and 3 others like this.
  4. Dod

Dod

To have spotless tripods, clean them with a wire brush and emery paper till they shine then repeat the process daily.

5. A dunk in some phosphoric acid would clean the rust off without too much abrasiveness to the underlying metal but its probably not worth the price of the acid unless you have some lying around.

6. I would do has others have said use a good bit of emery paper or steel wool with elbow grease. I would also try a bit of rust remover or similar rust removing technique. Im sure I saw either on her or facebook that the bases once cleaned can be repainted to look good as new

7. Dod

Dod

Think paint will be burned off in minutes fuming the place out while the paint gets ruined.

Clamp stands are worth a clean and paint though.

8. You could try a high temperature paint spray can, such as a barbecue paint or engine paint

9. Oh Ferrari red would be a lovely colour for them haha. Engine paint is actually a great idea!

Technician Q likes this.
  10. ..followed by locking them in a cupboard and throwing away the key..

11. EEV

EEV

Our tripods are a mess - covered in soot, rust and goodness knows what else!

Does anyone have any more tips on cleaning them, before I have a go with the wire wool and phosphoric acid? Can I stick them in the dishwasher?

12. Dod

Dod

Repeat as necessary till you get fed up

EEV, Techno and Ophelia like this.
  13. anything but aluminium which the powder will tarnish.

EEV and Ophelia like this.
  14. Dod

Dod

Get them out while toasting hot and put something on them (oil, WD50 or similar ) to prevent near instant rusting then rub with emery paper till they shine then repeat after every use and sometimes in between uses.

15. Nick Mitchener

Nick Mitchener COMMITTEE

Phosphoric acid is a good idea, it will leave a layer of iron phosphate which is black, you can paint it on no need to dip. It does seem a bit of a waste of time but it would be minimal labour. You would need to rinse them off and dry them which might be a bit more demanding.

16. They are best binned.:);)

17. Nick Mitchener

Nick Mitchener COMMITTEE

I think that sort of attitude is how the planet got in such a state in the first place.

Techitude likes this.
  18. I think that you are right Nick. However even Jeremy Clarkson is blaming Gerta Thunberg for the diminishing interest in cars. I simply meant that there was better things to spend my time on and they can be recycled.:)

19. Nick Mitchener

Nick Mitchener COMMITTEE

The less said about him the better.

EEV likes this.
  20. EEV

EEV

Thanks Nick. So I just paint the acid on using a brush? What concentration and how long should I leave it?