renewable energy

Discussion in 'Supporting Physics' started by paul r, Jan 13, 2020.

1. paul r

paul r COMMITTEE

Hello

What do you issue for this practical ?

regards

Paul

2. paul r likes this.
  3. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

We have demonstration wind turbine, water turbine and some solar cells.

We also have a couple of different solar water heaters.

paul r likes this.
  4. paul r

paul r COMMITTEE

5. Yes it works really well - the solar panel works best near window and you have to use a powerful fan to get the wind turbine to turn fast enough

6. We have previously purchased dynamo squeezy type torches from a pound shop in addition to things similar to the above suggestions. Also useful for energy transfer practical also.

7. Dod

Dod

Hydrogen cell powered model car

8. Tee

Tee

Recently commandeered a couple of Hydrogen Fuel Cells from Chemistry which where languishing unused in a cupboard. Dusted them of and are now a welcomed addition to the old 'energy transfer circus' in Physics

9. old fashioned 100W lightbulb for a large one, 12V 36W for the class experiment

10. Nick Mitchener

Nick Mitchener COMMITTEE

Filament bulbs drive them ok in my experience, though getting enough out to run a motor is hard, I use a brushless computer cooling fan.

11. Julie Delaney

Julie Delaney COMMITTEE

we have the water turbine demo kit, solar cells and a dynamo torch.

12. We now have a fuel cell car. Not tried charging from the solar panel yet to make it truly renewable.

13. Dod

Dod

Ours do but you need a windowsill in full blazing sunlight to have a chance of recharging the same day.

funnily enough they don't work at all in the dark. :(

14. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

People mentioning fuel cells has reminded me that we have some weird kit that I think is a solar powered electrolysis kit, where you then use the hydrogen in a fuel cell. Never used it, I just found it in a tray last year.

15. Dod

Dod

I hope you are using the 100 watt to light the cells and not expect the cells to power the 100 watter, might light it if you have enough cells o_O

chris vaudin likes this.
  16. So how many cells would I need to power a 100 watt bulb with a 100 watt bulb?

Technician Q and chris vaudin like this.
  17. Yes, it drives a small motor and fan

18. I wonder if rechargable batteries in the battery pack would work. Not sure how fussy it is about voltages.

19. If you manage that you will have achieved 100% efficiency and could make a lot of money!