Removing Methylene Blue Stains

Discussion in 'Top Tips' started by 007, Oct 14, 2019.

1. 007

007 COMMITTEE

Last week, a few of my Y9s managed to stain the desks with methylene blue. A chance spillage led to a discovery. I had some Dettol in a beaker to put their discarded cotton buds in and some of this spilt next to the methylene blue stain, I used a cloth to wipe up the spillage and when it came into contact with the methylene blue stain it removed all traces of it from the desk.
    It was a very pleasing moment.:D

Murrs, chris vaudin, Alice and 5 others like this.
  2. Thank you for this. I had a teacher put methylene blue in her pocket(!). It leaked and I put her labcoat in with all the others to wash so I now have a range of blueish lab coats.

BioBee likes this.
  3. Sounds fab haha I would love a duck egg blue or tie dyed labcoat :p

4. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

Blue paper towel in a pocket gives a reasonable effect

BioBee likes this.
  5. A useful tip for methylene blue or Eosin on clothes is to put it in a live yeast solution overnight. It does not have to be strong but just dunk the pocket affected in a beaker of say 1% yeast. Methylene blue and Eosin are used as stains for viability in the brewing industry and go colourless when the live yeast works on them. Then just wash as normal. Also a solution of yeast on a paper towel can be used to remove it from the desk.

Jaytee, IfieldCC and chris vaudin like this.
  6. Dylon, not sure if they do Duck Egg, but certainly light blue, just put on a 30 degree wash with dye in drum, permanent & easy.
    Coloured ones to buy are much more expensive.

7. Great tip, didn't know this.

8. I got a nice tie dyed one from SCiChem - love it. Keep meaning to tie dye my old ones but never get round to it.
    lab coat.jpg
    Kids love it - but HoD not too keen ha ha!!

Yelnats and Murrs like this.
  9. I love it!
    HoD? Tough, it's still PPP

10. ha ha like it even more because he doesn't!!!!

11. Ah thats brilliant!! :D