Removing eyeballs

Techitude

COMMITTEE
I once ordered 50 eyeballs from our supplier and they came packed in a black microwave tray complete with clear film seal, it looked like the worlds worst ready dinner!

We used to get all our dissection items direct from the sausage abbatoir, and they were often still warm when I collected them :confused: They started out being free of charge but they got fed up with the time it took to get everything out so started charging more and more. I just order from samples for schools now as we have to have lamb instead of pig at this school.

Has anyone used Philip Harris Education for eye balls? They seem a lot cheaper than Samples for Schools and arrive on ice, not preserved

Techitude

COMMITTEE
Has anyone used Philip Harris Education for eye balls? They seem a lot cheaper than Samples for Schools and arrive on ice, not preserved
I've just checked and the philip harris ones are showing as £13.50 for 5 and the samples for schools at £9 for 5 - both come frozen

A company we've used in the past when the butchers weren't able to provide is Dissect UK. They were owned by a parent of one of our pupils (now left so not sure if this is still the case) so we used to get things very cheap (sometimes free) and the service was very good but, maybe we got preferential treatment? Haven't used them for a while but the prices on the website look quite good.

I have seen Hostel, I am sure they guy in that just used a spoon!

Tell the teacher its more hassle than it is worth and she can either take it home or you will bin it.

C

Cameron / SfS

Good morning, the "Hostel" method is something we have heard of before ;)

(Edited by moderator - we don't allow commercial posts here from companies who are not site sponsors or registered suppliers)

@Cameron / SfS

Last edited by a moderator:

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
Sound advice I think.... CLEAPSS say that "butchers and abattoirs experience more trouble in removing the eyes [of pigs] and may be unwilling to sell them" - if they struggle, with the right tools & loads of experience, I think a school science technician may struggle too....! I think I would probable end up severing a finger or two if I tried it...... :D
I would be showing her my finger, never mind shredding it!!!:eek::mad::D