Reigniting a splint in oxygen using yeast and H2O2

Discussion in 'Top Tips' started by Luke H, Apr 27, 2018.

1. A few of our staff have been wanting to show how oxygen can be used to reignite a splint but thought it was too much faff to collect the gas.

So after a little bit of thought i decided to throw some yeast and H2O2 in to a beaker. The bubbles that this creates are perfect for containing the oxygen and instantly light the splint. it's great for the KS3 classes.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  2. Dod

Dod

You like your new career then? :)

3. I don't know how you can tell :p

4. That looks great! What concentrations are you using?

5. That looks amazing.

Luke H likes this.
  6. Dod

Dod

:eek: Think his quantities are approximate

7. It was small scale bucket chemistry.

8. 20vol hydrogen peroxide in a boiling tube with manganese oxide. Works a treat

Luke H likes this.
  9. I'll have to give it a try

*Edit - I was being thick, and read a completely different chemical. Yeah, we use that for other things, I just find that it gets everywhere and stains everything. I do prefer the bubbles that come from yeast though for relighting a splint, we use manganese oxide when the kids are collecting the gases with a gas kit.

10. I agree, it's a nightmare to wash off of the boiling tubes x

Luke H likes this.
  11. Buying in granules is the answer. A cheaper option is to mix powder with plaster of paris and smash it up into little bits. I wouldnt waste time on cleaning the glassware if you continue using powder though, just keep a set for the experiment?

Luke H likes this.