Radioactive dose unit conversion

Discussion in 'Supporting Physics' started by mike wilson, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Talk to your local authority. They were very helpful here. There might yet be a small fee but it will certainly be cheaper than paying a contractor to facilitate disposal.

Lesley Newcombe likes this.
  2. Nick Mitchener

Nick Mitchener COMMITTEE

I did the same. We kept the radium sources in a jam jar with a screw lid. I took the lid off in a fume cupboard and spooned mortar in, then replaced the lid. I put a layer of mortar in the bucket with a stand to rest the jar on, then filled the bucket with mortar so I knew the jar was in the middle. After that left it in the preproom with a label for 28 days, then took the label off just before the site team put it in the eurobin for me on the day the contractor collects.

3. PhysicsSimon

PhysicsSimon COMMITTEE

Got to second this, I tried to convert between the two a few years ago (previous place of work had the sources cabinet inside my prep room and I wanted to check for my own peace of mind) but the string of "assumptions" I had to make along the way made the actual calculation approx meaningless.....when I looked at the link I was a tad disappointed to find no info on how they did the conversion

4. Nick Mitchener

Nick Mitchener COMMITTEE

For a less serious reason I looked into it. I was trying to show to our HoS that concerns about thoriated welding rods were misplaced and they should just be treated as artefacts as in L93. I used BED or Banana equivalent dose to show that they were a minimal risk. (providing you don't grind them to dust)

It is all a guesstimate as you say and BED itself doesn't really work because your body only holds so much potassium and eating more bananas won't increase what you can hold.

Andrew Goloskof and PhysicsSimon like this.