Quick question on enzymes

Discussion in 'Supporting Biology' started by BioBee, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Hi all,

Just double checking but is 'Beta-galactosidase' the full name for lactase?

Have to do the immobilizing enzymes expt for Friday and was panicking that we don't have any beta-galactosidase but plenty of lactase, just wanted to double check they are the same thing before making a booboo.

Thanks!

2. Yes they are the same thing!

3. Cheers!

Another quick question, what % solution works best for the immobilized enzymes practical? The method I was given has no amount it just helpfully says 'add the enzyme'.

4. 5% , so assuming you're using a liquid enzyme, add 5cm3 to 95cm3 of sodium alginate. Have never tried putting a powdered enzyme into sodium alginate, would imagine it would go a bit claggy and be difficult to make beads.

5. The answer to your question is dependent on the concentration of your enzyme (this should be given on the container). If it's 5%(w/v) then you can do what snailo @Snailo has suggested but then the concentration of the enzyme would be further diluted by 1:20.:)

6. Absolute disaster of a practical :(

Unclear instructions (apparatus list was per group/student and NOT per class, and the amounts required of everything were all wrong), no time to research or prep beforehand due to school Open nights and a big full year group yr10 practical circuit to set up, and the cherry on top was that it was for period 1 today and for some reason, on a Friday, period 1 is half an hour earlier due to no form period or assembly till afterwards.

Can't wait to get it in the neck for being 'uncooperative' or some other buzzword despite trying my best with what I was given :(

7. Don't be too hard on yourself BioBee. Enzyme practicals need a lot of preparation and trialing.

BioBee likes this.
  8. Go easy on yourself. There are too many of these practicals where the instructions and aparatus list leave a lot to the imagination, and the ones produced by the professional bodies that fail to provide adequate information make my blood boil. Put it down to experience, despite expectation we cannot always make it work perfectly.

9. Especially enzyme practicals, can be very unpredictable. One of our techs trialled prac, worked perfectly, took it into lab, got cries of 'it's not working' ! :mad:

Beaker and LyndaR like this.