Plant Pigment Chromatography

Discussion in 'Supporting Biology' started by GeorgetheScienceTech, May 25, 2018.

1. There is a much better quicker and better method than the one you referred to biology_owl. Should I divulge it?:);)

2. greenfingers

greenfingers Sarah G

here we go :)

GeorgetheScienceTech likes this.
  3. :p:p:p

4. What solvents would you put out if the students are choosing?

5. karen b

karen b COMMITTEE

I would expect the teacher to say what solvents they are to be given a choice of as the last sentence says

"Outline procedure and equipment provided by the teacher"

6. they all chose to use just petroleum ether 100-120 :rolleyes:

7. How will they evaluate their Rf values if they use non-documented mobile phase?

8. i'll ask the teacher :p

9. That's assuming He/She will know the answer. It's better to use a Mobile Phase which has been researched for different Amino acids if you want the values of the expected Retention Factors.:)

10. Hi, it is very clear picture. so this is the ratio of the solvent, what did you use when extracting the green dye from the plant?

11. Do you have one for Amino Acid?

12. Extract using the minimum amount of propanone. George has another technique to concentrate the extract, which I will allow him to explain.

There is another thread for the amino acid chromatography, I believe.

Something we discovered last week is that the type of TLC plate is rather critical for separation.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  13. I use Spinach.

14. TLC Glass.png
    Hi May. here is my latest using Glass TLC plates. Note the different Mobile Phase necessary for glass plates. "M" is a mixture of Leucine Alanine and Lysine. The individual Amino Acids were spotted to identify the components of the "unknown" Mixture
    View attachment 1979

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  15. What plant's extract had you used for this separation?

16. Well Paul could the Teacher you asked provide an answer?:);)

17. I believe it was Dogwood Doyler. For some reason the Chlorophyll a and Chlorophyll b bands are quite intense. Happy New Year!:)

18. Thanks, it such great clear colour separation of the bands :) love it!! happy new year to you!!

19. yes please

GeorgetheScienceTech likes this.
  20. I'd be delighted LAJ392.:D